JANUARY 28, 2016
Sainz reveals weight loss for 2016 season
Carlos Sainz has revealed he is a new lightweight version for the 2016 season.
It is believed some cars may be heavier this year, due to the tough new side-impact cockpit crash test requirements.
"The load test has been increased from 15 to 50 Kilonewtons," said Mercedes' Paddy Lowe. "It's a very significant increase and therefore a matter of how to do it with a minimum intrusion to weight and aerodynamic surface."
It could be one reason why Toro Rosso asked Sainz, who reportedly weighed in last year at 66 kilograms, to trim down.
Asked how much he was asked to lose, the 21-year-old told the Spanish newspaper Marca: "A lot."
The report said Sainz has been training over the winter with countryman Mario Mola, one of the world's very best triathletes, including learning about his diet.
Sainz also revealed that he lives a "quite lonely" life on his own in central London, and is not even recognised by locals "except maybe a taxi driver who likes racing".
"I'm not a student living on campus and do not have time to make friends in a big city," he said.
"In any case, it is better than when I lived in Milton Keynes on my own at 18. I would not wish it on anyone -- there was nothing!"