MARCH 11, 2016
Podium target too high for Sainz says father
Carlos Sainz's famous father has joined his son in putting the brakes on claims Toro Rosso could be ready to race to the podium in 2016.
It was the Red Bull-owned junior team's boss Franz Tost who set the podium target recently, but 21-year-old Sainz jr warned that "Under normal circumstances, I don't think it's possible".
His father, the famous rally driver Carlos Sainz snr, told Spain's AS sports newspaper that he agrees.
"Definitely. In formula one, testing is testing and everyone is trying to save their weapons until the first race," said the 53-year-old.
"What seems clear at least is that the car is more reliable than last year, but then the things I have heard about podiums I find too exaggerated."
As for his highly-rated son, however, who has been training with Spanish triathlete Mario Mola, Sainz said: "I see him much more mature, more focused, knowing what he wants and I think it will be a good season."
Sainz snr also joined the ranks of those who are hoping Mercedes' recent domination of F1 is challenged in 2016.
"The hope is that Ferrari has caught up, because if the races continue to be all about Mercedes, it becomes tiring," he said.