JULY 23, 2016
Perez admits Renault interesting option
Renault has emerged as Sergio Perez's main alternative in the event that he does not stay at Force India in 2017.
Force India supremo Vijay Mallya moved to end speculation when he said recently that Mexican Perez is definitely under contract for next year.
The Indian's comments had followed rumours that Perez was first in line should Ferrari not keep Kimi Raikkonen.
In Hungary, 26-year-old Perez admitted that Ferrari had been an option.
"Obviously you're hoping, you're hoping for a call and there were so many rumours," he told Brazil's Globo.
"From the outside it seemed that Kimi was not doing the right results but the team knows more about what is happening with its drivers.
"Ferrari is a team that is not as competitive as they want -- we all want to see them fighting for victories. I think now they live a difficult moment, we heard that James (Allison) will leave and maybe to go Renault, I don't know," added Perez.
Fascinatingly, Perez continues to insist that although Mallya is right that he has a 2017 contract, his future is also in the hands of his powerful Mexican sponsors.
"Let's see this summer what is best for me," Perez said in Hungary.
"I'm in a team with great potential, I trust the team and I would like to stay another season here, but I have to analyse and see what is best for my future."
Perez mentioned Ferrari technical director Allison's potential switch to Renault, and curiously the Mexican driver is also linked with a move to Enstone.
"It is definitely an interesting team," Perez admitted.
"They are not going through a good time, but if they will be competitive then it may be an interesting option. I want to be world champion," he insisted.