Ocon signs with Renault, replacing Hulkenberg

AUGUST 29, 2019

Ocon signs with Renault, replacing Hulkenberg

Esteban Ocon, Chinese GP 2019
© RV Press

Esteban Ocon has signed a multiple year contract with Renault, and will partner Daniel Ricciardo in the team for the 2020 season.

After showing strongly with Force India in 2018, and then being left without any options for a drive this season, the twenty-two-year-old will come back with a full-time drive.

Esteban Ocon said, "First and foremost, I am very proud to become a Renault driver. I have grown up at Enstone, starting with Lotus in 2010 and then with Renault. I am very attached to this team and everyone who works there; they are the ones who opened the doors of top level motorsport for me. Secondly, I am pleased that a team with big ambitions has entrusted me with the opportunity to once again demonstrate my skills at the highest level of F1. It is a responsibility I take very seriously. The confidence they have in me to help the progression of the team is a very positive pressure and I look forward to giving the best of myself."

Team Principal, Cyril Abiteboul said, "We are very happy to work with Esteban for the next two seasons. Over his F1 career Esteban has experienced the highs and lows of the sport, and fully understood the need to seize every possible chance. In addition to lending his natural talent, Esteban's aim will be to focus his natural energy and drive, both of which have been intensified by a year away from racing. It is then up to us to infuse them into the next phase of the team's progress."

"He has shown his ability to score points, has great professionalism on and off the track, plus his recent experience as reserve driver to the current world champions will be a valuable asset to the development of our entire team."

"I wish to thank Nico for his phenomenal involvement and massive contribution to our progress over the past three seasons. When Nico decided to join us, the team was ninth. He brought us to fourth place last year, and was classified seventh in the drivers' championship. The imminent end of his contract made this decision a difficult one as Nico has been a pillar of this progress. The first part of this season has been more challenging, but I know we can count on him and deliver together throughout the second half of the year."

Other stories for AUGUST 29, 2019

THURSDAY PHOTOS

THURSDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

OCON SIGNS WITH RENAULT, REPLACING HULKENBERG

MERCEDES TAKES UP BOTTAS OPTION

RUSSELL DESERVES FRONT-RUNNING CAR SAYS KUBICA

VETTEL PENALTY STEWARD PIRRO RETURNS AT SPA

MELBOURNE RULES OUT SNEAKY F1 TOBACCO BRANDING

HOCKENHEIM SAYS GERMAN GP DEMISE NO SURPRISE

DUTCH GP WILL AFFECT SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS

BOTTAS, OCON NEWS TO BE CONFIRMED ON THURSDAY