JANUARY 18, 2015
Nurburgring not giving up on 2015 race
The Nurburgring is not giving up on hanging onto the German grand prix.
Bernie Ecclestone has announced that, amid the Nurburgring's ownership uncertainties, its return to the calendar this year is now off.
The F1 supremo is now negotiating with Hockenheim to take the place on this year's schedule.
"We have a contract with Mr Ecclestone for the race in 2016 and 2018," a Hockenheim spokesman told the Kolner Express, "but at the moment there is nothing for this year.
"If there is a specific offer, we will look at it," he added.
And Hockenheim track boss Georg Seiler told Germany's Sport Bild: "Already since the race last year there were talks, but we agreed confidentiality.
"If all the parameters fit, I see the opportunities at 100 per cent that formula one can be at the Hockenheim again this year," he added.
The Nurburgring, on the other hand, is also not officially confirming Ecclestone's comments about the 2015 race being definitely off.
"We note what Mr Ecclestone said," a spokesman for the track operator Capricorn told SID news agency, "but we do not comment.
"We would be delighted if this year there was a formula one race again at the Nurburgring," he added, "but it also must be affordable for the operator."