New law threatens Monza's F1 future
Honda F1 website
Honda website

DECEMBER 23, 2014

New law threatens Monza's F1 future

The future of the historic grand prix at fabled Monza has taken a blow this week, according to reports in the Italian press.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone warned earlier this year that the existing Italian grand prix contract, running only until 2016, is a commercial "disaster".

And now, more bad news for Monza has emerged from the government, Italian newspapers including La Stampa reveal.

It is about the so-called 'legge di stabilita', or stability law, in which a decision of the senate has made the collapse of the Italian grand prix beyond 2016 reportedly more likely.

Reports said an amendment of the law allowing a tax exemption to the tune of about EUR 20 million has been ruled out.

Politician Fabrizio Sala is quoted as saying: "The stability law penalises Monza and its Autodrome, putting at risk the future of the formula one grand prix".

But former F1 driver Ivan Capelli, who this year became a director of the automobile club of Milan, vowed to fight for the Italian grand prix.

"Our commitment to find the resources needed is clear," he insisted.

(GMM)

Other stories for DECEMBER 23, 2014

FERRARI ADMITS MISTAKES HAVE HURT 2015 CAR

FERRARI NOT RULING OUT 2016 SEAT FOR RAIKKONEN

FERRARI CHANGES TUNE ON TRACK TESTING ISSUE

NEW LAW THREATENS MONZA'S F1 FUTURE

MONTEZEMOLO AS F1 BOSS NOT FAIR PLAY SAYS MARCHIONNE