Monza can survive without F1 race
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JANUARY 20, 2015

Monza can survive without F1 race

Monza insists it would survive even without the iconic Italian grand prix.

Bernie Ecclestone said last year that the current contractual terms with the fabled Autodromo Nazionale are "a disaster", warning that "after 2016, bye-bye".

It then emerged shortly before Christmas that the new, so-called 'stability law' passing through parliament could cost Monza up to about EUR 20 million in tax exemptions.

But Francesco Ferri, the new director of the Monza race organiser Sias, insists the famous circuit would survive even without formula one.

"2017 will arrive anyway, with or without Bernie Ecclestone," he is quoted by the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

"If we do not extend the contract that expires next year, we have prepared a 'plan B' for the maintenance of the circuit, a number of competitions and the development of complementary activities," Ferri insisted.

The report said F1 supremo Ecclestone is asking for about EUR 20 million per year for the new race fee.

When asked about those demands, Ferri answered: "We look with great interest to the experience of the sponsor (Red Bull) who revived the Zeltweg circuit" in Austria.

(GMM)

Other stories for JANUARY 20, 2015

PALMER TO DRIVE ON FRIDAYS FOR LOTUS

CNN MOVES FROM CATERHAM TO MCLAREN

FORCE INDIA WILL NOT TEST 2015 CAR AT JEREZ

F1 ASSESSING IMPACT OF 2015 ENGINE UNFREEZE

FERRARI RULES OUT HAVING ENGLISH HQ

MALAYSIA SET FOR NEW F1 RACE CONTRACT

GROSJEAN NOT RULING OUT COLOUR CHANGE FOR LOTUS

VANDOORNE HOPES MAGNUSSEN SETBACK BOOSTS F1 HOPES

MONZA CAN SURVIVE WITHOUT F1 RACE

BIANCHI CRASH MEANS EARLIER RACES FOR 2015 HOSTS