APRIL 7, 2015
Merhi admits he could lose Manor seat
Roberto Merhi is heading to China this week fully expecting to line up for Manor on the Shanghai grid.
The Spaniard knows that he will be ousted by the former Marussia team if a better-funded driver comes forward.
So ahead of the back-to-back China and Bahrain rounds, the 24-year-old rookie admitted to Marca sports newspaper that he has not been told officially that he will be racing this weekend.
"But I'm not waiting for news," Merhi told the Spanish publication. "If they don't say anything, I'll be the one to race in China and Bahrain."
Merhi is keeping his 2015 options open, having travelled from Malaysia last month straight to Spain for a test in a Formula Renault 3.5 car.
He is signed up for the full 2015 'world series' championship, which includes some rounds that clash with F1.
Asked if he is worried his time at Manor will eventually run out, Merhi admitted: "Realistically, that can happen.
"I wouldn't say worried, all I can do is my best and not think about what might happen. But honestly, yes, there is that possibility."
He is expecting the struggling Manor team to start getting up to speed in China and Bahrain.
"In Malaysia we were not using the full power of the engine. And I got so few laps that I could hardly remember the braking points in qualifying," said Merhi.