McLaren eyeing Sainz as 2018 plan B?
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JUNE 21, 2017

McLaren eyeing Sainz as 2018 plan B?

McLaren is lining up Carlos Sainz as a 'plan B' in the event Fernando Alonso quits the team after 2017.

That is the claim of Josep Viaplana, the F1 correspondent for the Spanish sports daily Diario Sport.

"Sainz is among the drivers who have made the most progress in recent seasons, despite his modest Renault-powered Toro Rosso," he said.

Earlier, Spaniard Sainz, 22, had been linked with a move to Renault or Ferrari, but until now Red Bull has not been willing to relinquish his contract.

Viaplana added: "Red Bull knows he (Sainz) cannot stay a fourth year in Toro Rosso.

"Helmut Marko and Christian Horner have already decided that if Ricciardo and Verstappen stay at Red Bull Racing, they will open the door for Sainz to look at a better option."

(GMM)

Other stories for JUNE 21, 2017

CAREY PLAYS DOWN 2018 TRIPLE HEADER

CAREY CONFIDENT ALL 21 RACES SET FOR 2018

NO HURRY TO SIGN NEW BOTTAS DEAL SAYS WOLFF

MCLAREN DEAL NOT MERCEDES PRIORITY SAYS WOLFF

HONDA NOT RULING OUT F1 HELP

HAMILTON COULD QUIT F1 AFTER 2017

RUSSIA GP DATE CHANGE DUE TO WORLD CUP

SAUBER NOT COMMENTING ON MCLAREN GEARBOX CLAIMS

MCLAREN EYEING SAINZ AS 2018 PLAN B?

PROST WELCOMES NEW F1 TEAM RUMOURS

BERGER'S NEPHEW TO MAKE F1 TEST DEBUT