Leaving Sauber best decision of career says Gutierrez
Honda F1 website
Honda website

NOVEMBER 18, 2015

Leaving Sauber best decision of career says Gutierrez

Esteban Gutierrez says losing his Sauber race seat last year was the "best decision of my career".

The 24-year-old Mexican and his backers signed up instead at Ferrari, where the reserve driver role this year led straight to a Haas race seat for 2016.

"It was difficult," Gutierrez said. Not an easy year. I had to be very patient," he told Brazil's Globo.

But it appears he always suspected the Ferrari door to lead to Haas, the new American outfit that is regarded by many as effectively a Ferrari 'B team'.

"It was a great year in many ways," Gutierrez admitted, "always with the strategy and vision for the future. It was a big risk but leaving the (Sauber) race seat to be third driver was the best decision of my career.

"Last year, I knew that Haas would enter formula one and I saw a great opportunity. It is an important team in the United States already (in Nascar), achieving great results and now they are entering F1 in a serious way.

"And we have a great relationship with Ferrari," Gutierrez said.

(GMM)

Other stories for NOVEMBER 18, 2015

AUSTIN YET TO PAY F1 FEE FOR 2015

MAGNUSSEN EYES F1 RACE RETURN FOR 2017

ROSBERG REVELS IN SPOILING HAMILTON'S PARTY

SIDES BEING CHOSEN IN F1 ENGINE WAR

HAKKINEN DOUBTS RAIKKONEN CAN RECOVER IN 2016

LEAVING SAUBER BEST DECISION OF CAREER SAYS GUTIERREZ

MASSA DEFENDS WILLIAMS APPEAL DECISION