SEPTEMBER 28, 2016
Kubica eyes Le Mans
Robert Kubica is looking to step up his return to circuit racing by targeting Le Mans.
The Pole's promising F1 career ended abruptly in 2011, when a pre-season rallying crash left him with a permanent arm injury.
But he has since competed at the highest level of world rallying, he did the Mugello 12 hour in March, and last weekend he finished on the podium after the Renault Sport Trophy race at Spa.
"It was the first time since 2010 that I raced on a circuit," said Kubica, who is now 31.
Kubica prepared for his race at Spa with time in Renault's F1 simulator, having been invited by team boss Frederic Vasseur.
"I wanted to know where I was," Kubica said, "and how my body will react on a race weekend. It's a real test.
"I wanted to see if I can race on a circuit in an entirely professional manner. Then I will decide my future according to what I am capable of."
As for what that future might look like, he answered: "For next year, I have two projects in mind.
"But what is certain is that there is a 90 per cent chance that I'll be back on a circuit," said Kubica.
Le Mans, he admitted, is one option.
"I admit that I was not very interested in endurance previously, but now it is different. And the 24 hours of Le Mans represents the pinnacle," said Kubica.