FEBRUARY 15, 2001
Herbert makes shock return as Arrows development and testing driver
Herbert, who left the Jaguar Racing team at the end of last season, will provide support for Arrows drivers Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi.
Herbert, 36, announced his shock return to Formula One at the Arrows launch of their new car at their Leafield base on Thursday. He is adamant that he has made the right decision.
"I see Arrows as a team of people who are very serious about their racing performance, but also like to enjoy life," said Herbert. "That suits my philosophy down to the ground."
"This is a new challenge for me. I know I can make a valid contribution and I am very much looking forward to getting down to business."
Herbert left Formula One after 12 seasons to pursue a career in the American-based Champ car series. He was reported to have turned down a testing deal with BMW-Williams last November, but after failing to secure a Champ Car drive he has made a u-turn and joined Arrows.
Walkinshaw said: "It's great to have Johnny on board. We have good continuity with Jos (Verstappen, fresh talent with Enrique (Bernoldi) and with the experience of Johnny we have the complete driver line-up."
The British driver said earlier this week that he hoped to compete in the prestigious Indianapolis 500 and Le Mans-24 Hour races, and it is believed that his testing duties with Arrows will not interfere with this aim.