SEPTEMBER 26, 2017
Gasly replaces Kvyat at Toro Rosso
Scuderia Toro Rosso has announced that Red Bull junior driver Pierre Gasly will replace Daniil Kvyat for the remainder of the season, alongside Carlos Sainz.
This year the French driver has been racing for Team Mugen in the Japanese Super Formula Championship, after winning the 2016 GP2 championship.
Team Principal Franz Tost said, "Scuderia Toro Rosso was established by Red Bull to bring youngsters from its Junior Programme into Formula 1 and that™s what we are doing by giving Pierre this chance. He is the next in line at Red Bull for this opportunity and he has shown that he deserves it, having taken the 2016 GP2 title and this year being very competitive in the Super Formula series in Japan. He really has a valid chance of winning the title, as he is only half a point behind the leader. The driver switch gives us an opportunity to make a more informed decision regarding our 2018 driver choices. For a variety of reasons, some of them due to technical problems, but others being mistakes of his own making, Daniil Kvyat has not really shown his true potential so far this year, which is why we are standing him down for the next races. This will give us the opportunity to evaluate Pierre on track during a proper race weekend.
Pierre Gasly said, "I would like to thank everyone who has helped me get this chance in my motor racing career and specifically, Red Bull, Dr. Helmut Marko and Scuderia Toro Rosso¦this is a great opportunity for me. I feel as ready as I can be, having had to be prepared for anything in my role as Red Bull Racing™s third driver this year. I will do my best to perform well with Scuderia Toro Rosso during these coming races."