FEBRUARY 5, 2016
Friday outings possible for Ocon
Esteban Ocon may get some Friday practice outings in 2016.
'On loan' to Renault after re-signing with Mercedes' driver development scheme late last year, the 19-year-old reigning GP3 champion will be the official third driver in 2016.
And the Frenchman could get some free practice outings in the new Renault in 2016, managing director Cyril Abiteboul admitted.
"I cannot go into details but I confirm that," he said.
Having signed with Mercedes, Ocon admitted he was surprised when the Renault opportunity emerged "very quickly" in the last couple of weeks.
"I am really excited and I think it shows," he smiled.
"Yes I am a Mercedes driver, it is they who run my career, but I am very happy they have reached an agreement with Renault so I can seize this opportunity," Ocon added.
"I do not know what my programme with the team will be exactly, but I know that I will be at all of the races and technical briefings.
"I will be ready if I am asked to go onto the track," he said.