NOVEMBER 15, 2016
Ecclestone hints at buying Interlagos
Bernie Ecclestone has admitted the future of the long-running Brazilian grand prix at Interlagos remains "absolutely" uncertain.
With the Sao Paulo race having only a provisional date on the 2017 calendar, the F1 supremo met with new Brazilian president Michel Temer last week.
When asked why the Interlagos race is under a cloud, Ecclestone told Globo Esporte: "Financial reasons."
So when asked about his meeting in Brasilia with president Temer, the 86-year-old answered: "It was very good. We talked about general matters, nothing in particular. It was a good visit."
As for whether Interlagos' troubles were brought up, Ecclestone said: "He knows more or less what we need, and what we would like to happen."
One theory is that, with Sao Paulo's new mayor Joao Doria saying he would like to privatise Interlagos, Ecclestone could buy the historic track.
"It depends on how he wants to sell it," Ecclestone answered. "Maybe I'm interested in doing business.
"If they sell to someone else it could be more difficult to keep the race here," he added.
When asked if he is planning to meet with the new mayor, Ecclestone answered: "No, I'm returning to Europe but before Christmas I will be in Brazil.
"I do want to meet him, yes."