MAY 6, 2015
Berger not surprised by Renault's V6 struggle
Even Sebastian Vettel would not have made a difference to Red Bull's tough season in 2015.
"In (terms of) car development, maybe," said the now Ferrari-driving German's former boss and mentor Dr Helmut Marko.
"For example, we have now changed back to the brake manufacturer that he (Vettel) always wanted to have," Red Bull chief Marko told Auto Bild.
"But with the engine problems we have, he would have been powerless too," he insisted. "I am convinced that the car is good."
Red Bull is therefore returning to the theme of earlier in 2015, when the energy drink company-owned team pointed the finger hard and angrily at Renault.
In that criticism, Marko has an ally in the form of Gerhard Berger, the F1 legend and former Toro Rosso co-owner.
"I am not at all surprised," said the Austrian, when asked about Renault's struggle to match the pace of Mercedes and Ferrari in F1's new 'power unit' era.
"Their factory is outdated. Mercedes has three times as many engineers and invests at least three times as much money," added Berger.
The situation is awkward for Red Bull in that it is reliant on Renault's power and unable to switch to the engines of its arch rivals Mercedes and Ferrari.
And even Renault is now threatening to pull out of F1 altogether.
"In that case we would have to get out (too) and sue Renault," Marko charged.
In the meantime, Vettel is now charging for the title wearing red.
"Sebastian is not gloating about our situation," Marko insists, "he is just happy that he is now having his success with Ferrari."