Alonso enjoys watching Verstappen in attack mode

NOVEMBER 12, 2019

Alonso enjoys watching Verstappen in attack mode

Former F1 driver Fernando Alonso has admitted he enjoys watching Max Verstappen race.

Frustrated with the sport last year, Spaniard Alonso quit at the age of 37 and is currently preparing to contest the fabled Dakar rally.

"I find the motivation to try new categories due to my passion to win," he told El Confidencial.

"In Formula 1, only one car wins and in February you know who it will be and that you will be 11th of 13th."

However, Alonso doesn't rule out returning to Formula 1 in 2021, admitting that winning a challenge like Dakar will be difficult.

"I would be lying if I said I am at the level of great specialists like Peterhansel, Carlos Sainz or Al-Attiyah. It is possible to do that in six months," he said.

"But the good thing is that these six months of preparation have already been very enriching both as a driver and a person."

Finally, Alonso was asked to give his opinion about who is the best driver currently in Formula 1.

"There is no best driver in Formula 1," he responded. "It is not possible to analyse everything. You have to see who is better over a few years.

"Today I do like to follow Max Verstappen, because he's always in attack mode and that's good for the viewer."

(GMM)

Other stories for NOVEMBER 12, 2019

RED BULL CONFIRMS ALBON TO PARTNER VERSTAPPEN

TORO ROSSO CONFIRMS GASLY AND KVYAT FOR 2020

TOTO WOLFF TO MISS BRAZILIAN GP

VERSTAPPEN SAYS HE IS TOO HONEST AND DIRECT

HONDA TO DECIDE F1 FUTURE BY ABU DHABI SAYS MARKO

ALONSO ENJOYS WATCHING VERSTAPPEN IN ATTACK MODE

VERSTAPPEN DENIES DISMISSING HAMILTON SUCCESS

HANS-JOACHIM STUCK WARNS AGAINST F1 QUIT THREATS

FORMER SPONSOR DID NOT PAY WILLIAMS IN FULL