JULY 26, 2016
Alonso admits 2016 podium unlikely
Fernando Alonso has admitted that he is unlikely to finish on the podium in 2016.
Former long-time team coordinator Jo Ramirez declared this week that he expected the Honda-powered team to be in top-three form by now.
But Spaniard Alonso told Cadena Cope radio: "Under normal circumstances, we do not deserve the podium yet.
"Hopefully we will improve for next year, but this is formula one and anything can happen."
However, Alonso says that even if McLaren is not ready for wins and the title next year, the performance of the 2017 car will not determine his future in F1.
"My continuity in F1 will not depend on the performance of the car," he insisted.
"The last two years have been difficult but I'm enjoying myself a lot. And if next year's cars are as fun as they were in the past, it will be no problem to continue.
"The cars we have now are slower than before and give different feelings that go against the instinct of the driver. So my continuity will depend more on the rules next year.
"If it is still about saving (tyres and fuel), then I will have to think," Alonso added.
As for Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel's current troubles, the 34-year-old said he wishes nothing but the best for the fabled Maranello team.
"Racing for Ferrari and for everybody involved in that team is a dream," he said, "so I do not wish him (Vettel) or anyone any harm.
"Last year they started strong and this year they have taken a small step back," Alonso added.
He said he has been more impressed with young countryman Carlos Sainz.
"The driver change has been fantastic for him," said Alonso. "(Max) Verstappen is proving to be very fast, so because they were evenly matched that is good for Carlos.
"Now that (Daniil) Kvyat is behind him that is only good news," he added.