2017 talks not just with Renault says Magnussen

JULY 22, 2016

2017 talks not just with Renault says Magnussen

Kevin Magnussen has admitted for the first time that he is looking beyond Renault to secure his future in formula one.

But the Dane does welcome news that the French works team has now stopped developing the 2016 car in order to focus completely on the new regulations.

"Yes, because we can't win with this car," Magnussen said in Hungary when asked if he supports the decision.

"I am hoping I will stay with the team, so I want us to focus on the future," he added.

Renault appears happy with Magnussen so far, but the 23-year-old is on only a one-year contract and the team is not yet ready to take up its 2017 option.

"I expect to be here," he said when asked by the Danish newspaper BT about 2017.

"I have told that team that I want to continue and I have not seen or heard anything that indicates I won't be here. But I also sense that the team is in no hurry to decide its drivers for next year," Magnussen admitted.

So when asked what steps he is taking to ensure he keeps racing in 2017, he answered: "I'm not only talking with Renault.

"I know enough people in the paddock now to hear about what's going on, but right now I don't feel the need to talk too much with the other teams about 2017," he added.

It seems the biggest threat to his place is coming from team reserve Esteban Ocon, who is driving the yellow car in Friday practice this weekend.

"Esteban is a really good driver, there's no doubt," Magnussen told Ekstra Bladet newspaper. "It wouldn't be good for motor sport in general if a driver like him didn't get a chance in formula one."

(GMM)

Other stories for JULY 22, 2016

MERCEDES EYES NEXT GENERATION AFTER ROSBERG

PRACTICE 2 REPORT - CRASHING AHEAD

PRACTICE 2 RESULTS

FRIDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

FRIDAY TEAM QUOTES

FRIDAY PHOTOS

ROSBERG SIGNS NEW TWO-YEAR, EUR 45M DEAL

VETTEL BLAMES MEDIA AMID FERRARI CRISIS

BOTTAS ADMITS F1 FUTURE NOT SECURE YET

RICCIARDO NOT SCARED OF VERSTAPPEN

STAYING AT SAUBER AN OPTION AFTER BUYOUT SAYS NASR

BUTTON NOT SURE MCLAREN CAN WIN IN 2017

2017 TALKS NOT JUST WITH RENAULT SAYS MAGNUSSEN

KVYAT BACKS WORLD CHAMPIONS F1 CRITICISM

HAAS LOOKS SET TO KEEP SAME DRIVERS

F1 TO REVIVE GRID STARTS FOR WET RACES?

PRACTICE 1 REPORT - UNCATCHABLE

PRACTICE 1 RESULTS