Formula One News — September 2016

SEPTEMBER 8, 2016

Perez staying amid Force India buyout rumours

Sergio Perez is staying with Force India, amid rumours in Mexico that his backers may even buy the Silverstone based team.

Verstappen thanks Hamilton for backing

Max Verstappen has thanked Lewis Hamilton after the reigning world champion backed the driving of the controversial 18-year-old.

Ecclestone wanted 7-year Monza deal says Capelli

Bernie Ecclestone wanted Monza's new deal to be for a full seven years, according to race consultant Ivan Capelli.

Ocon seems destined for Renault seat

Esteban Ocon's future at Renault appears all but guaranteed.

Whiting denies job talks with F1 teams

Charlie Whiting has slammed reports suggesting he is looking for another job in F1. Germany's Auto Bild claimed last week that the sport's long-serving race director and starter wants to leave the FIA and is already in talks with a couple of teams.

SEPTEMBER 7, 2016

Formula 1 group sold

It was announced today that Liberty Media is to purchase Delta Topco, the firm run by Bernie Ecclestone and CVC and is the Commercial Rights holder to the FIA Formula One World Championship.

Ecclestone not committing to post-sale F1

Bernie Ecclestone is not committing to his current role in charge of F1 if the sale to US media tycoon John Malone's Liberty Group goes through.

Massa rules out returning to Brazil

Felipe Massa has ruled out continuing his racing career next year in Brazil's domestic stock car series.

Sainz plays down latest Renault switch rumours

Carlos Sainz has played down any lingering speculation that he might still be in the running to change teams for 2017.

Russian GP2 driver reveals F1 talks

Artem Markelov, a Russian GP2 driver, claims he is in talks with "a number of teams" about entering formula one.

SEPTEMBER 6, 2016

Race for Singapore win could be close

The race could be on for victory in next weekend's Singapore grand prix.

Verstappen no fan of Halo system

Max Verstappen has admitted he is no fan of the 'Halo'.

Nyck de Vries eyes Vandoorne's McLaren role

The next young charger is now stepping up a notch at McLaren.

Verstappen tells Lauda to go to psychiatrist too

Max Verstappen has told his critics to "get used to" his on-track style.

Wolff plays down Ecclestone successor reports

Toto Wolff has played down suggestions he would make an ideal successor to Bernie Ecclestone.

Palmer's father could be British GP saviour

Jolyon Palmer's father has emerged as a potential saviour for the British grand prix.

SEPTEMBER 5, 2016

Rumours swirl about Ecclestone's future

As big rumours swirl about the sale of F1's commercial rights, Bernie Ecclestone has named a potential successor as chief executive.

Magnussen, Palmer in running for 2017 says Vasseur

Renault's existing drivers are still in the running for the race seats in 2017.

Villeneuve no longer Raikkonen critic

Jacques Villeneuve says he is no longer a critic of Kimi Raikkonen.

Marko, Gasly deny Kvyat axe rumours

Dr Helmut Marko has hit back at rumours Red Bull junior Pierre Gasly is set to take over Daniil Kvyat's Toro Rosso seat with immediate effect.

Vettel struggling at Ferrari says Lauda

Sebastian Vettel is currently "struggling" in his role as Ferrari's lead driver.

Williams to replace Massa with Stroll?

Williams looks set to replace the retiring Felipe Massa with Canadian rookie Lance Stroll for 2017.

Race Report - Victory platter

Italian GP - Race Report - By Dan Knutson in Monza

SEPTEMBER 4, 2016

Race Notes - Rosberg wins in Italy

Italian GP - Race Notes