Formula One News — September 2016

SEPTEMBER 15, 2016

Sauber keeps rebuilding after Longbow buyout

Sauber is continuing to rebuild after almost collapsing under financial strain earlier in 2016.

Button happy to retire with one title

Jenson Button says he would be happy to retire with just a single world championship under his belt.

Grosjean welcomes F1's new American owners

Romain Grosjean has welcomed F1's new American owners, saying the 'American way' can be good for the sport.

Hamilton not worried about Singapore slump

Lewis Hamilton says he is not too worried about a repeat this weekend of Mercedes' poor showing in the Singapore grand prix last year.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2016

British grand prix not super-safe says Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone has hit out at European countries that don't spend more to safeguard their future on the F1 calendar.

Driver decision not a priority for Renault

Kevin Magnussen's chances of keeping his place at Renault dramatically drop after September ends, according to the Danish newspaper BT.

Doornbos tips Verstappen to shine in Singapore

Former F1 driver Robert Doornbos thinks his countryman Max Verstappen has a real chance of winning this weekend's Singapore grand prix.

Nasr happier with Sauber after team buyout

After almost collapsing earlier this year, Sauber is now noticeably back on track.

SEPTEMBER 13, 2016

Mercedes active suspension trick revealed

The FIA and rival teams want to stop a rule loophole that explains some of the superiority of Mercedes' 2016 car.

Stroll admits pressure of F1 debut rumours

Lance Stroll has admitted he is feeling the "pressure" of speculation linking him with the Williams race seat for 2017.

Ecclestone, Button tip Hamilton for title

Two prominent F1 figures would put their money on Lewis Hamilton winning a third consecutive drivers' title in 2017.

Ecclestone says Prost best ever F1 driver

Bernie Ecclestone has named Alain Prost as the greatest F1 driver of all time.

SEPTEMBER 12, 2016

Bottas gets married in Helsinki

Valtteri Bottas has enjoyed an exciting preparation for this weekend's Singapore grand prix.

Abu Dhabi could be Ecclestone's last race?

Bernie Ecclestone's future might not be as secure as it was earlier thought.

Engine survived big Magnussen crash

Kevin Magnussen looks set to re-use the power unit that was aboard his Renault when he crashed heavily at Eau Rouge recently.

Kaltenborn expects European decision soon

Monisha Kaltenborn has tipped the European Commission to rule on the fairness of the governance and income distribution in formula one "soon".

Stroll ready for F1 debut

Lance Stroll says he is ready to drive a formula one car.

Bianchi hits back at legal action criticism

The late Jules Bianchi's father has defended his criticism of F1 authorities.

SEPTEMBER 9, 2016

Verstappen not ruling out Singapore win

Max Verstappen is not ruling out a bid for victory under the Singapore lights next weekend.

Formula E boss plays down F1 role rumours

Formula E boss Alejandro Agag has played down suggestions he is set to help run formula one in the wake of the buyout by US media tycoon John Malone.

F1 takeover must clear two hurdles

F1's sale to US tycoon John Malone's Liberty Media is yet to clear two significant hurdles.

Manager had Renault, Haas talks says Massa

Felipe Massa has admitted his manager had contact with other teams before he decided to retire from F1 at the end of the year.

SEPTEMBER 8, 2016

Ecclestone confirms he is staying

Bernie Ecclestone is staying in formula one, despite earlier speculation that the F1 supremo would be ousted amid the sale deal to Liberty Media.

Vandoorne wants to beat Alonso in 2017

Stoffel Vandoorne insists he is looking forward to going up against Fernando Alonso next year at McLaren.