Formula One News — December 2001
DECEMBER 12, 2001
Miami makes a bid...
"The Forge GP", a charity Karting race held through the streets of South Beach on December 5th may have been more meaningful than might first appear.
Teams discuss the end of qualifying engines
It is being reported that the Formula 1 teams discussed limiting the cars to two engines per Grand Prix event at last month's Technical Working Group meeting.
British GP - crisis over?
The flurry of activity in recent days about the future of the British Grand Prix may be over.
DECEMBER 11, 2001
Avon in play?
Avon Rubber, once a Formula 1 tire manufacturer and today the tire supplier for Formula 3000, has announced that it made a loss in 2001 and has decided to close its factory in Trowbridge, England with the loss of 285 jobs.
Work to begin shortly at Hockenheim
The Hockenheim circuit could start rebuilding work in January and the organizers of the German GP say that the new track layout could be ready to be used in time for the 2002 event in July.
Kirch seeking more help with loans
The Kirch Group, which controls the Formula 1 group of companies, is trying to find a way of restructuring its debts because the Dresdner Bank is demanding that one of the firm's outstanding debts be paid by the end of this month.
The value of China to F1 sponsors
China formally joined the World Trade Organization on Tuesday and that will have major implications for global trade in the years ahead as the country opens up for business with the West.
Berro leading Maserati towards sportscar racing
Claudio Berro, who has been head of Ferrari's press office since 1997, is the new head of the competition department of Maserati and the word on the street in Italy is that the company (which is a Ferrari subsidiary) is planning a sports car program to support its sales drive.
Formula 1 numbers - what really happened
Our spies within the upper echelons of Formula 1 have finally managed to uncover what happened in last week's shenanigans over the numbering system for 2002.
BAR to hire another Japanese driver?
BAR is believed to be interested in replacing 2001 test driver Takuma Sato with another Japanese driver, possibly Toshihiro Kaneshi, after Sato was signed by Jordan to drive alongside Giancarlo Fisichella in 2002.
News Corp denies Kirch bid
Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation does not usually make comments on media reports about its activities but has decided that it would be better to deny that it has any plans to mount a hostile takeover bid for the Kirch Group.
Imperial seen as the most likely buyer of Reemtsma
Imperial Tobacco is reported to be getting ready for a $5bn bid for the Reemtsma tobacco company, the primary sponsor of the McLaren F1 team through its West cigarette brand.
DECEMBER 10, 2001
Melbourne barriers too low?
A safety engineer has told the Melbourne Coroner's Court that he believes the safety barriers in Albert Park were not high enough to cope with Formula 1 accidents.
Austria gets a new deal
The Austrian Grand Prix is to continue until 2006.
Ralf Schumacher to race with glasses
Ralf Schumacher says he will be racing with spectacles next season.
Better access promised for Silverstone Grand Prix
The promoters of the British grand prix yesterday played what they hope will be their trump card in a bid to head off a possible downgrading of next year's race to non world championship status.
Tobacco companies and the Internet
As regulators around the world struggle to find ways to stop cigarette advertising evidence is emerging in the United States that forcing tobacco companies away from traditional forms of advertising and sponsorship is only pushing them to explore new areas, specifically the Internet.
DECEMBER 9, 2001
Melbourne coroner warns of FIA criticism
The Melbourne coroner Graeme Johnstone said in court on Friday that he may end up having to be "critical of the FIA's management of safety issues" at the end of the inquest into the accident in Albert Park in March next year.
Sauber named "Team of the Year" by Swiss
Peter Sauber's team has been named "Team of the Year" in Switzerland's annual sporting awards.
Ferrari on display in Bologna
Scuderia Ferrari put on a show for the fans at the Bologna Motor Show with test driver Luca Badoer again demonstrating the F2001 in front of an estimated 40,000 fans.
Prost AP05 to miss Melbourne?
Alain Prost has indicated that the new AP05 design may not be ready for the first race of the new season.
DECEMBER 8, 2001
Minardi gets more Malaysian cash
Paul Stoddart has spent the last couple of days in Malaysia and had a brief but successful meeting with the Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir Mohamad.
Britain's anti-tobacco legislation hits a snag
The British Tobacco Advertising and Promotion Bill has run into trouble in the House of Lords over whether airlines should be allowed to advertise cigarettes or not.
Compaq merger with Hewlett-Packard unlikely
Williams's title sponsor Compaq is in the process of being swallowed up by rival Hewlett-Packard but the deal has been hit a major snag as HP's chief shareholder The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, has announced that it is opposed to the deal.