Honda F1 website

MAY 24, 2016

Mercedes scoffs at Hamilton rumour

Mercedes has rubbished reports Lewis Hamilton might miss this weekend's prestigious Monaco grand prix.

An Italian newspaper had suggested that Pascal Wehrlein may only have tested in Barcelona last week due to world champion Hamilton's involvement in a mysterious nightclub incident in Cannes that could now see him sidelined.

But Hamilton has been posting photos of himself training in the Monaco hills, while the German team on Monday released its official race preview featuring quotes by the 31-year-old.

Asked on Twitter to respond specifically to the rumours, meanwhile, Mercedes said: "Sometimes, a rumour is so silly it doesn't merit a response."

And a team spokesman told the Belgian newspaper La Derniere Heure: "Lewis is with his engineers today, preparing for the grand prix.

"He was with Petronas on Friday for a sponsor day. This rumour is such rubbish that it deserves no response from us," he added.