Pointless season embarrassing for Sauber

Sauber on Sunday plumbed the depths of its "embarrassing situation", according to veteran Swiss correspondent Roger Benoit.

The Hinwil based team has had a dire 2014 season so far, but in Monaco Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez were among the very backmarkers, and then they both crashed out of the glamorous street race in separate incidents.

"That was certainly the most painful mistake in my formula one career," admitted Mexican Gutierrez, who clumsily clouted the barrier.

Capitalising on the chaotic race, however, was the backmarker Marussia, whose Jules Bianchi went onto score the struggling team's first ever F1 points.

The fact Sauber still has zero points in 2014, behind Marussia, is "embarrassing" for the Swiss team, Benoit wrote in the newspaper Blick.

Team boss Monisha Kaltenborn, however, insists Sauber has in fact made a "step forward" in recent races.

"Maybe then the next discussion should be about the drivers," wondered Benoit.

"Many fans have long been demanding that Dutch reserve driver Giedo van der Garde gets a cockpit," he added.

The highly experienced Felipe Massa began his career at Sauber some twelve years ago, and he used the race seat as a springboard to his long Ferrari career.

Asked about Sauber, the Brazilian said in Monaco: "They are not in a good way," he is quoted by 20min.ch.

"It is tough times for them. What can I say? They're behind us," said the Williams driver, "so it's okay."

(GMM)

Follow grandprixdotcom on Twitter

Print News Story