FEBRUARY 17, 2014
Ecclestone no longer in race for Nurburgring
Bernie Ecclestone is no longer a serious candidate to buy the embattled Nurburgring.
The F1 chief executive revealed last month that he has made a bid for the fabled German grand prix venue, amid its financial problems.
"We want to make sure there is a formula one race in Germany every year in the future," said Ecclestone.
The 83-year-old Briton said at the time that there are "one or two other interested parties", and the Rhein newspaper now claims they are entities from Dusseldorf and the US, and a private equity firm.
Correspondent Dietmar Bruck said the parties all have until Monday to submit their final proposals, with Ecclestone apparently no longer in the running.
Meanwhile, Britain's Guardian newspaper claims the newly-retired former Mercedes boss Ross Brawn was approached to take over from Ecclestone, should the F1 chief executive lose his job amid the corruption affair.
Adding that F1 owners CVC refused to comment, correspondent Richard Williams said the approach to Brawn had been "unsuccessful".
|Print News Story|
BAHRAIN VIOLENCE RETURNS TO F1 HEADLINES
FERRARI ENGINE STOPS SPARK TO SAVE FUEL
ROSBERG EXPECTS TO WIN A LOT OF RACES
PROSECUTORS CLOSE FILE ON SCHUMACHER CRASH
BRUNDLE SLAMS VILLENEUVE FOR F1 SLAM
BOULLIER EXIT A SURPRISE SAYS GROSJEAN
PUJOLAR SAYS MALDONADO UNDERESTIMATED
TEAMS GROUP FOTA SET TO COLLAPSE
RAIKKONEN COULD BE NEXT F1 FATHER
ECCLESTONE NO LONGER IN RACE FOR NURBURGRING
MCLAREN-FERRARI RIVALRY SLIDES TO WINTER OLYMPICS
COURT ACTION THREATENS KOLLES F1 PLANS
FIA LEGALISES DONUTS FOR F1 WINNERS