SEPTEMBER 6, 2013
Sainz looks for Toro Rosso seat
Carlos Sainz jr has raced into pole position to fill the new vacancy at Toro Rosso next year.
With Daniel Ricciardo heading to Red Bull's main team in 2014, it was believed the next in line at the junior squad Toro Rosso was Antonio Felix da Costa.
But the Portuguese has struggled recently in the Formula Renault 3.5 series.
Next in line could be Carlos Sainz jr, the 19-year-old son of the Spanish rally legend.
He is managed by Luis Garcia Abad, who also handles Fernando Alonso's career.
"It's very good news for our country that Daniel has signed (for Red Bull)," Alonso said at Monza.
"It has opened up a good possibility for Carlos Sainz to join Toro Rosso," he revealed.
Spain's Marca newspaper reports that Red Bull figures were "amazed" with Sainz's "speed, professionalism and reporting of information to engineers" earlier this year when he tested at Silverstone.
He is reportedly also backed strongly by the influential Dr Helmut Marko.
Another Spanish daily, AS, said there is a chance Sainz will drive the Toro Rosso on Friday in Singapore, while figures at Spain's motor racing federation have reportedly been at work to obtain a super license for the youngster.
|Print News Story|
FRIDAY PRESS CONFERENCE
FRIDAY TEAM QUOTES
PRACTICE 2 RESULTS
PRACTICE 1 REPORT - NOT SEEING RED
PRACTICE 1 RESULTS
RAIKKONEN TO DRIVE LONGER LOTUS AT MONZA
2014 SEAT FOR BIANCHI MAY BE TOO SOON AT FERRARI
HAMILTON, DENNIS, MOVE TO PATCH UP BROKEN RELATIONSHIP
RICCIARDO TO SLIM DOWN FOR 2014 COCKPIT
SAINZ LOOKS FOR TORO ROSSO SEAT
SUTIL THINKS F1'S V6 MOVE NOT EXCITING
SAUBER'S RESCUE DEAL TAKING TIME
MEXICANS PEREZ AND GUTIERREZ EXPECT 2014 HOME RACE
VERGNE HAPPY TO BE TORO ROSSO NUMBER 1
SAUBER'S SIROTKIN TO TEST 2011 CAR
MONZA MARSHALS END STRIKE THREAT