APRIL 8, 2013
Bianchi admits Ferrari future in mind
Jules Bianchi has refused to rule out speculation his impressive pace with Marussia so far in 2013 could lead to a future at Ferrari.
Having missed out on the Force India seat for his F1 race debut this year, the 23-year-old was snapped up instead by Marussia, after Luiz Razia's sponsorship dollars failed to arrive.
Bianchi and Marussia then emerged as an early surprise package of 2013.
Backed by Ferrari, as the cream of the famous Italian marque's development 'academy', Bianchi is now being tipped by some to be the next Ferrari driver.
Asked if he has spoken to Stefano Domenicali after impressing in Australia and Malaysia, Bianchi told Sky: "I am still speaking to Ferrari as I am still part of their driver academy, so for sure they look at what I am doing.
"But I don't want to put any extra pressure -- I am with Marussia now, I want to do a good job for them and then we will see what happens," he told the British broadcaster.
Asked, however, if a Ferrari seat is an eventual goal, Bianchi admitted: "It is something we have in mind because I already have a contract with them in the academy, so we want for sure to do something in the future.
"But it is too early to know about that. We have done only two races, we still have 17 races to do and we will see what happens," he added.
"I need to stay at this level first of all and improve. We will see next year what happens, but I would be pleased to stay with Marussia next year again."
If he is called up by Ferrari - whose existing driver Felipe Massa is also managed by Frenchman Nicolas Todt - Bianchi insists he would be ready for life at the front of the front.
"Yes, I think every driver when you are in formula one, you are one of the best drivers in the world, so you can jump into a top team like Ferrari.
"I think you just need more experience when you are a young driver, but then when you are doing good races, you show people you deserve to have that opportunity," he said.
|Print News Story|