APRIL 5, 2013
Ecclestone unconcerned about Bahrain unrest
Bernie Ecclestone has played down reports civil unrest could yet again affect the running of Bahrain's grand prix.
Ever since the revolutionary Arab Spring of early 2011, formula one's annual visit to the island Kingdom has been under a dark cloud of controversy and uncertainty.
A report in the Daily Mail this week said there could be problems yet again, with fresh graffiti on a wall west of the capital Manama depicting an F1 car with the words 'No for the bloody formula'.
F1 chief executive Ecclestone, however, said he is not concerned.
"I haven't had any negative reports from anybody there," he told Reuters, ahead of his sport's forthcoming double-header in China and then Bahrain.
"Somebody who actually lives there came to see me yesterday and said everything's very normal.
"I think (the opposing sides) are talking now anyway, so I don't think they'll upset the talks by making protests," the 82-year-old added.
"It didn't help them last year, so if they had any brains they'd just get on with their talks."
Ecclestone also suggested that the long-term future of the controversial race is secure.
"They do a very, very good job of the race, the whole support from the top is good. No problems," he said.
|Print News Story|