JULY 22, 2010
Korea says FIA satisfied with progress
Despite reports that Korea may seek a year's postponement of its inaugural Grand Prix, scheduled for October 2010, the managing Korean Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) says that a recent site visit by FIA F1 race director and safety delegate, Charlie Whiting, was a success.
Whiting visited the 5.615km Korean International Circuit - designed by Herman Tilke and scheduled for August completion - last week.
Whiting examined the facilities including the completed race control tower, main grandstand and pit garages as well as the 5.615km track layout and was briefed on the construction schedule, after which he expressed satisfaction with progress. The next inspection is scheduled for the end of August.
Korean Automobile Racing Association chairman Yung Cho Chung said: "Last week KARA and KAVO welcomed Charlie Whiting for a site inspection, as well as for meetings relating to our preparation. As anticipated we had a successful visit and are confident the drivers, teams and fans will enjoy the Korea International Circuit."
The circuit has been built to incorporate local elements, such as the roof of the 16,000 seat main grandstand resembling the eaves of traditional 'Hanok' houses. The circuit will have a capacity of 130,000.
|Print News Story|