Will the government help or not?

On Thursday April 23rd, in the House of Lords, sometime after 2.30 pm, MIA President, Lord Astor of Hever is to ask Her Majesty's Government what assistance they will give to enable the British Formula 1 Grand Prix to continue.

Lord Astor and the MIA will build on the commitment given last year by the Minister of Sport, Andy Burnham MP, when he answered a question from Chris Aylett, CEO of the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) on Government support for the British Grand Prix.

"We will certainly do all we can‚" said the Minister. "This is potentially a great era for British motorsport. You can be assured of our full support to make certain we keep a British Grand Prix in this country."

The MIA says it would be wrong if there was no British GP.

"It would be a travesty if, whilst we celebrate the success of a new British team under Ross Brawn and a British driver in Jenson Button, the youngest ever F1 World Champion in Lewis Hamilton and a great British team victory, our Government fails to ensure we host a British Grand Prix for many years to come" said Aylett.

Whilst so much Government attention focuses on the London Olympics, the British Grand Prix is being forgotten, despite tha fact that it reflects well on the UK's successful motorsport industry.

Follow grandprixdotcom on Twitter

Print News Story