AUGUST 21, 2005
Race incidents from Istanbul
At the end of the final parade lap, Takuma Sato goes into the pits to fill up with fuel in the hope of making up time in the race after his penalty.
* Lap 1: At the start Giancarlo Fisichella gets away quickest and is ahead of Kimi Raikkonen at the first corner. Fernando Alonso is third with Juan Pablo Montoya fourth, Jarno Trulli fifth and Nick Heidfeld sixth. At the first corner Felipe Massa tries to go down the inside of the Williams but there is no room and he loses his front wing. As a result of this Mark Webber and Ralf Schumacher are delayed and that allows Christian Klien and David Coulthard to take seventh and eighth with Webber ninth and Barrichello 10th. Ralf is down at the back, with only Sato behind him. Going on to the back straight Fisichella goes wide, allowing Raikkonen and Alonso to close right up on him and Kimi takes the lead at the end of the straight. Fisichella gets through in second with Alonso third. At the tail of the field Massa pits for a new nose.
* Lap 2: Raikkonen builds a lead of 1.4secs, while Alonso passes Fisichella for second. The order behind them is the same except at the back where Sato catches and passes Ralf Schumacher for 18th place.
* Lap 3: Alonso responds with the fastest lap and closes the gap to Raikkonen to a second. In the midfield Webber overtakes Coulthard to take eighth. Further back Jenson Button passes Michael Schumacher for 11th place.
* Lap 4: Raikkonen sets the fastest lap and pushes his lead up to 1.2secs. Further back Button passes Rubens Barrichello for 10th place. Jacques Villeneuve also takes Christijan Albers for 15th. Sato and Ralf Schumacher overtake Robert Doornbos to move up to 17th and 18th places. The Minardi is 19th with the delayed Massa 20th.
* Lap 5: Alonso sets another fastest lap and closes the gap to a second again. Sixth-placed Heidfeld goes into the pits after a right rear pucture. He falls to 19th, with only Massa behind him.
* Lap 6: Raikkonen sets another fastest lap and edges an extra tenth of a second. Sato moves ahead of Albers and Villeneuve to run 14th. Ralf Schumacher is also able to pass Albers to move to 16th.
* Lap 7: The struggle at the front continues, while further back Webber overtakes Klien to move to sixth place. Further back Sato passes Narain Karthikeyan for 13th place.
* Lap 9: After two consecutive fastest laps Raikkonen has a gap of 1.4secs once again, while Fisichella is third 2.6secs behind Alonso. Montoya follows with Trulli in fifth place. Webber's race suffers a serious setback with a right rear tyre failure in the daunting Turn 8. He crawls around to the pits to replace the tyre. At the same time Button passes Coulthard to take seventh place. Karthikeyan has a problem and drops behind Doornbos.
* Lap 10: Button passes Klien for sixth place. Further back Sato overtakes Tiago Monteiro to move to 11th.
* Lap 11: Raikkonen sets another fastest lap and increases his lead to 1.6secs. Fisichella is still dropping away in third. Further back Villeneuve overtakes Monteiro to take 12th. Behind them Heidfeld passes Albers to move back up to 15th. Massa catches Karthikeyan and takes 18th place.
* Lap 12: Ralf Schumacher and Heidfeld both overtake Monteiro to move up to 13th and 14th.
* Lap 13: Alonso heads for the pits and falls behind Fisichella, Montoya and Trulli but ahead of Button. Heidfeld pits and falls from 14th to 19th.
* Lap 14: Fisichella pits but he has a longer stop and loses a lot of time, rejoining in ninth place. There is an incident further back with Mark Webber and Michael Schumacher colliding as the Australian tries to unlap himself. Both men pit for repairs. Monteiro also pits and drops from 14th back to 18th.
* Lap 15: Doornbos has his first stop and drops back to 18th. Michael Schumacher stops again and the Ferrari team work on his car for a long period. He later rejoins for a few laps before parking the car.
* Lap 16: Raikkonen's lead over Montoya is 9.2secs, with Trulli third, Alonso fourth, Button fifth and Klien sixth. Thirteenth placed Albers has his first stop.
* Lap 17: The stops at the back continue with Karthikeyan, while Albers unexpectedly returns to pitlane.
* Lap 18: Trulli heads for the pits and falls behind Alonso, Button, Klien and Coulthard. On the same lap Ralf Schumacher also pits but is far enough behind not to be delayed by Trulli. Ralf drops to 12th behind Massa.
* Lap 20: Button passes Alonso to take third place. At the tail of the field Webber has a second right rear tyre failure in Turn Eight and retires after driving round to the pits.
* Lap 21: Montoya and Button both pit. During his pit stop Montoya sets off when the fuel man is still trying to get clear of the car. The delay is not significant and Montoya remains second. Alonso is third but Button falls back through the order, emerging in ninth place.
* Lap 22: Raikkonen comes in to the pits and all goes well and he rejoins still13secs ahead of Montoya. Alonso is behind the Colombian.
* Lap 23: Fourth-placed Klien stops and falls back to 10th place. Also stopping is Villeneuve who falls from 11th to 12th, behind Massa.
* Lap 24: Coulthard stops and drops from fourth place to eighth, now ahead of Klien. Barrichello also stops and drops from sixth to 10th. Down at the back Albers has another stop.
* Lap 28: The race has settled down with Raikkonen safely clear of Montoya, who has Alonso hanging on to his tail. Fisichella is back to fourth ahead of Trulli, Button, Sato (who is still to pit) and the two Red Bulls. Barrichello is 10th. Eleventh-placed Massa stops and retires with a small fire in the back of the car.
* Lap 29: Sato comes into the pits and falls back from seventh to 10th. At the same time Nick Heidfeld has a second right right rear tyre failure and goes into the pits to retire. Williams begins investigating four similar failures.
* Lap 30: Villeneuve overtakes Ralf Schumacher for 11th place. Karthikeyan goes into the pits for his second stop and falls behind Doornbos.
* Lap 34: Alonso pits for his second fuel stop. He drops behind Fisichella. Further back Doornbos pits and so Karthikeyan moves ahead again.
* Lap 36: Fisichella stops again and drops back behind Alonso, Trulli and Button.
* Lap 39: Doornbos and Monteiro narrowly avoid a collision while fighting for 15th place. Both men pit.
* Lap 40: Ralf Schumacher has his second stop but remains in 12th place.
* Lap 41: Montoya has his second stop but stays in second place
* Lap 43: Fourth-placed Trulli comes in for his second stop and he falls behind Button. Down at the back Doornbos passes Karthikeyan for 13th.
* Lap 44: Eighth-placed Klien has his second stop and falls behind Trulli and Barrichello.
* Lap 45: Raikkonen stops for fuel. He re-emerges still 20secs ahead of Montoya. Coulthard also stops and falls from fifth to eighth.
* Lap 46: Barrichello has his second stop and this puts him back from seventh to 10th, behind the two Red Bulls and Takuma Sato.
* Lap 47: Button is the last man to come in for his second stop. This means that Fisichella goes back to fourth place, but Jenson is fifth.
* Lap 56: The order seems to be settled but Montoya laps Monteiro and then jumps on his brakes. The Jordan runs into the back of the McLaren and has a half-spin but Juan Pablo gets back on the road before Alonso takes the place.
* Lap 57: Montoya goes off again and this time Alonso takes second, gaining four points for Renault in the Constructors' title as he not only gains two points but also Montoya loses two.
* Lap 58: Raikkonen wins another good victory. Alonso is happy to be second with Montoya third ahead of Fisichella, Button, Trulli, Coulthard and Klien. The only man on the same lap is Sato although his last lap is very slow. Barrichello finishes 10th a lap behind but ahead of Villeneuve and Ralf Schumacher. The rest are two laps further behind with Doornbos coming home ahead of Karthikeyan and Monteiro.
|Print News Story|