JULY 10, 2005
Race incidents from Silverstone
As the cars come onto the grid for the start Takuma Sato stops before he gets to his grid position. The decision is taken to start the race nonetheless.
* Lap 1: Fernando Alonso makes a good start. Slower away is Jenson Button and it is Juan Pablo Montoya who is the man on the move, challenging Alonso on the outside at the first corner. The two cars run side-by-side down to Becketts where Montoya takes the lead. In third place is Button ahead of Rubens Barrichello, Giancarlo Fisichella and a slow-starting Jarno Trulli. Behind him is Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen, who has made up four places. As Sato's car is still being pushed off the track it is decided to send out the Safety Car.
* Lap 2: The field is bunched up behind the Safety Car for just one lap before the restart. During that period Sato's car is fixed and sent on its way.
* Lap 3: The race restarts but the order is unchanged. At the end of the lap Montoya is 1.3secs ahead of Alonso. He is a second up on Button.
* Lap 9: Little has changed at the front with Montoya and Alonso duelling and Button not quite able to keep the pace. There have been no changes until Christian Klien goes off and loses 12th place to Nick Heidfeld.
* Lap 11: Button is beginning to drop away more quickly. In the midfield Narain Karthikeyan pulls off with a mechanical problem. Klien pits and falls from 15th to 18th.
* Lap 14: Alonso sets the fastest lap of the race and closes the gap to under a second. Button is 5.5secs back with Barrichello behind him, chased by Fisichella, Trulli, Michael Schumacher and Raikkonen. Then comes Ralf Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve, Mark Webber, Heidfeld, David Coulthard and Felipe Massa. Klien loses more time when he has a second off-track moment.
* Lap 16: At the back of the field Christijan Albers is the first runner to pit and he drops behind his Minardi team mate Patrick Friesacher.
* Lap 17: Barrichello is the first major runner to stop, suggesting that he is going to run a three-stop race. He falls from fourth to ninth. Down at the back Friesacher stops and falls behind Albers again.
* Lap 19: The main pit stops begin with Villeneuve, Heidfeld and Coulthard all stopping. The Canadian knocks over a mechanic and loses time.
* Lap 20: Button stops and is followed into pitlane by Trulli and Webber.
* Lap 21: Ralf Schumacher stops.
* Lap 22: The leader Montoya goes into the pits and Alonso moves into the lead. Giancarlo Fisichella is lapping quickly and sets the fastest lap as he chases his Renault team mate. Montoya is third when he rejoins, ahead of Michael Schumacher, Raikkonen, Button, Barrichello and Felipe Massa. Behind the Sauber are the two Toyotas with Jarno Trulli leading Ralf Schumacher. Behind them are Mark Webber and Nick Heidfeld in the Williams-BMWs. Tiago Monteiro pits and drops from 13th to 16th.
* Lap 23: Alonso stops and Fisichella takes the lead with Montoya second. In the midfield Klien passes Coulthard for 14th.
* Lap 24: Michael Schumacher pits and is followed into pitlane by Massa. Schumacher drops from fourth to seventh. Massa falls from eighth to 11th.
* Lap 25: Fisichella pits and so Montoya goes back into the lead. Raikkonen challenges Alonso for third at Stowe Corner and moves ahead.
* Lap 26: Raikkonen pits but the time he had gained means that he emerges ahead of Michael Schumacher and Trulli in sixth place.
* Lap 27: The order settles down again with Montoya 2.8secs ahead of Alonso and Fisichella. There is a small gap back to Button and Barrichello. Michael Schumacher is seventh and obviously struggling. Next up are the Toyotas of Trulli and Ralf Schumacher. Webber is next with Massa up to 11th ahead of Heidfeld. Villeneuve follows with Klien and Coulthard next. Everyone else is lapped.
* Lap 31: Sato, at the tail of the field, makes his one and only pit stop and drops to the tail of the field again
* Lap 32: Fifth-placed Barrichello pits for the second time and so drops behind Raikkonen and Michael Schumacher.
* Lap 36: Albers makes his second pit stop. At the same time Sato catches and passes Friesacher for 18th place.
* Lap 38: Montoya is 3.7secs ahead of Alonso, who is 3.4secs ahead of Fisichella. Further back Villeneuve and Klien both stop. also stopping is Friesacher.
* Lap 39: Monteiro makes his second stop but stays in 16th.
* Lap 41: The story is the same at the front but the lapped Heidfeld comes in for his second stop and drops from 12th to 13th, behind Mark Webber.
* Lap 42: Eighth-placed Trulli stops again.
* Lap 43: Button and Webber go into the pits for their second stops.
* Lap 44: Montoya stops and so Alonso goes into the lead again. Fisichella is second and Raikkonen third. Montoya rejoins fourth.
* Lap 45: Raikkonen pits and falls behind Montoya. Also stopping is Barrichello who drops from seventh to eighth.
* Lap 46: Fisichella goes into the pits but there is a crucial moment when his Renault stalls as he tries to accelerate away. This costs him a podium finish as Raikkonen is able to grab third. Michael Schumacher stops for the last time and drops behind Ralf.
* Lap 47: The stops continue with Ralf Schumacher, Massa and Coulthard all coming in.
* Lap 49: Alonso pits and Montoya comes through to take the lead again by 1.8secs. Alonso si second with Raikkonen third, Fisichella fourth, Button fifth, Michael Schumacher sixth, Rubens Barrichello seventh and Ralf Schumacher eighth. The only other man unlapped is ninth-placed Trulli.
* Lap 51: Takuma Sato passes Monteiro for 16th place.
* Lap 60: Montoya wins his first race of the year with Alonso second and Raikkonen third, the Finn setting the fastest lap on his final lap.
|Print News Story|