JULY 1, 2004
Aintree to host a Festival of Motorsport
The Aintree racing circuit, just outside Liverpool was once the home of the British Grand Prix. First used in 1954 the track, which runs alongside the famous Aintree racecourse, home of the Grand National, shared its grandstands with the racecourse and in austere post-war Britain quickly rose to prominence, hosting the British GP in 1955. Two years later the race returned with Vanwall becoming the first British team to win in the World Championship. Moss won again in 1959 but the 1961 race went to Wolfgang Von Trip's Ferrari. The Grand Prix returned in 1962 when Jim Clark but the racecourse then passed into new hands and the British GP moved on to Brands Hatch although a shorter version of the old track was used for club racing for many years.
The track will be reopened on November 19-21 for non-competitive events on the three-mile track, including historic parades and static displays of vintage racing and cars. It is hoped that the festival will attract 30,000 spectators.
|Print News Story|