Buttons participation in Canadian GP still under review

Jenson Button, Monaco GP 2003

Jenson Button, Monaco GP 2003 

 © The Cahier Archive

Jenson Button will find out Thursday if he will be permitted to participate in Sundays Canadian Grand Prix. Pending an examination with Professor Sid Watkins a decision will be made to ensure that Button does not do further damage in the event of an additional accident. Watkins, the FIA Medical Examiner, told THE GUARDIAN newspaper, "We are mindful of the consequences of what we call the 'second-impact' syndrome - where a driver suffers a second concussion a short time after the first impact."

This news comes after a hard-hitting accident in Monaco left Button with a concussion and an overnight stay at the Princess Grace Hospital. Following his release from the hospital and an initial examination with Watkins, he was forced to sit out testing last week.

Button, who remains enthusiastic, said, "I am happy to report that I feel fine and I am ready for Montreal!" It is worth noting, however, that Takuma Sato is standing by in Montreal ready to step in if necessary.

Follow grandprixdotcom on Twitter

Print News Story