MSA deny threat to British Grand Prix

THE governing body of British motor sport, the MSA, has denied that it was contacted by the FIA president Max Mosley over concerns that the traffic arrangements are below par for the British Grand Prix.

"No such letter exists," said MSA spokesman Colin Wilson, "even if Max Mosley had written the alleged letter, he doesn't have the authority to say there will be no British Grand Prix."

Rob Bain, chief of British GP rights holders and Silverstone's tenant organizer Octagon, was rather less dismissive, admitting on BBC 5 Live that there had been contact from the MSA on the FIA president's behalf, but that the whole issue was a 'storm in a teacup.'

"It came about from a complaint letter that Max Mosley received, who forwarded it to the MSA, the MSA wrote to me saying 'can you just investigate and come back with specifics' which we've done," said Bain. "It's very much a storm in a teacup."

Bain believes that the four-lane bypass of Silverstone village will greatly improve matters in 2002 - although at present it is progressing towards its completion date of June 28 next year with no significant access improvements to Silverstone circuit.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said that Silverstone "gives young people a chance to see how Formula 1 used to be in the old days," and, with the multitude of new circuits being built in emerging markets to F1's exacting standards, the pressure is on Bain and the MSA to raise their game.

Follow grandprixdotcom on Twitter

Print News Story