Irvine will still race in Britain

JAGUAR have calmed fears that Eddie Irvine will miss the British Grand Prix after withdrawing him from their three-day test at Monza on Wednesday.

Irvine has been suffering with neck problems and although the test is the second one he has missed in three weeks, the team says it is for his own good.

"The team has spoken to a specialist and we were told the best preparation for the British Grand Prix was for him to have a few days off," said a Jaguar spokesperson.

"It's not the problem it was last month. There's 90 per cent movement in his neck and it's the last 10 per cent that is causing the pain. It has not set any alarm bells ringing.

"There is absolutely no question of him not racing at Silverstone next week but we want to avoid aggravating the irritation any further.

"He shouldn't be feeling the injury at Silverstone - he is not due in the car for another week and a half. He'll be absolutely fine."

Irvine has been replaced by Jaguar's Formula Three driver Andre Lotterer for the Monza test.

Follow grandprixdotcom on Twitter

Print News Story