NEWS ARCHIVE

27 SEPTEMBER 1999

... AS ZONTA STAYS FOR 2000

BRITISH AMERICAN RACING has confirmed that Ricardo Zonta will stay with the team next season.

...SO WHAT HAPPENS TO PANIS

THE announcement that Ricardo Zonta is to be retained by British American Racing comes as a blow to Olivier Panis as the Frenchman had been hoping that British American racing might decide to hire him as Jacques Villeneuve's team-mate.

ACTION COMING AT BRITISH AMERICAN RACING?

THE board of directors of British American Racing is due to meet on October 6 and our spies tell us that there may be an attempt at the meeting to have another management reshuffle.

IS ESTORIL FOUSTON'S TARGET?

NICOLA FOULSTON, the boss of Brands Hatch Leisure plc, said the other day the company is no longer interested in acquiring the Silverstone race track and is looking at buying a foreign facility.

JAGUAR SNIFFING AROUND FOR 2001

THE Jaguar Sport Formula 1 team is already making waves as Jaguar management is beginning its campaign to attract some top names to the team for 2001.

OIL POLITICS

THE acrimonious takeover battle between French oil companies TotalFina and Elf Aquitaine has ended with an agreement to merge the two companies, with TotalFina boss Thierry Demarest coming out on top and Elf boss Philippe Jaffre departing. The deal has to be agreed by the European Commission but it is expected to go ahead.

SCHUMACHER AND MALAYSIA

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER should be back in action in a Ferrari on October 7 when he is scheduled to have another test at the team's Fiorano testing facility.

THE DUST SETTLES IN FORMULA 3000

THE FIA Formula 3000 International Championship came to a close at the Nurburgring with Jason Watt holding off a race-long challenge to beat champion Nick Heidfeld to victory.

THE SAUBER CIVIL WAR

THE Sauber bosses met recently in Switzerland and it seems that Peter Sauber has emerged as the winner of the battle for control of his team.

VILLADELPRAT BOWS OUT AT BENETTON

BENETTON's Director of Operations Joan Villadelprat is to leave Benetton Formula at the end of the season after nine years with the team.

20 SEPTEMBER 1999

EXIT THE PRINCE...

AS we exclusively predicted six weeks ago Prince Malik ado Ibrahim's time as team principal at Arrows has come to an end and he is no longer involved in the decision-making processes of the team.

GOSSIP IN FRANKFURT

THE bosses of the world's car manufacturing companies gathered last week at the Frankfurt Motor Show and it is expected that meetings taking place during the show will result in a new round of mergers and takeovers in the industry.

KEEP AN EYE ON THE REDON FAMILY

FRENCHMAN racer Laurent Redon has been busy wheeling and dealing in the paddock in recent weeks looking for a way to break into Grand prix racing next year.

MELBOURNE HOLDS IT BREATH

THE future of the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne has been brought into question by the poor performance of the ruling Liberal Party in Victoria's state elections last weekend.

TAG RAISES MORE MONEY

THE speculation that McLaren boss Ron Dennis and Mansour Ojjeh's TAG Group are planning to buy a substantial shareholding in Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Holdings increased dramatically last week when it was announced that TAG is selling its remaining shareholding in the TAG Heuer watch company to France's Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy.

TEAM ORDERS AT MCLAREN

DAVID COULTHARD is likely to be told what to do by the McLaren team at the forthcoming European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring as Mika Hakkinen's World Championship challenge has been rather dented as a result of his accident at Monza.

THIS WEEK'S TESTING ACTIVITY

THERE was Formula 1 testing last week at Mugello and at Magny-Cours but both were disrupted by poor weather as autumn begins to set in Europe.

WEBBER GETS HIS MONEY

AUSTRALIAN Mark Webber says he has the money he needs to secure a test drive with the Jordan team next season and is reported to have severed his links with Mercedes-Benz to make way for a Jordan deal.

WHITAKER ON THE MOVE AFTER JAGUAR CONFIRMATION?

MARTIN WHITAKER, the boss of Ford's European motorsport programs, is expected to move away from the Formula 1 program next year although our sources at Ford say that he will retain "a senior position at World Championship level".

13 SEPTEMBER 1999

AN AMERICAN IN FORMULA 3000

OUR spies in Dearborn tell us that Ford is pushing ahead with an ambitious plan to enter a team in Formula 3000 next year to support the Jaguar F1 operation.

ANOTHER TIRE COMPANY FOR F1 IN 2001?

THERE have been rumors in recent days in Europe that a second tire manufacturer may be planning to come into Formula 1 in 2001.

BELGIAN GP IS OFF 2000 CALENDAR

THE FIA has circulated all the Formula 1 teams with a new list of dates for the 2000 Formula 1 World Championship and this looks to be very different to the calendar published in July.

BERNIE AND BIG BUSINESS

THERE have been a spate of stories in recent days suggesting that Bernie Ecclestone has decided to sell 50% of FormulaÊOneÊHoldings to a single - but unnamed - buyer for around $2.4bn.

SCHUMACHER TO MISS EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER is not going to be back in action at the European Grand Prix in two weeks.

THE SAUBER CIVIL WAR

THE bosses of the Red Bull Sauber Petronas team will meet this week in Switzerland to decide who really controls the team and it looks like founder Peter Sauber may be struggling for support amongst his partners and backers.

WHAT IS FORD PLAYING AT NOW?

ON Tuesday in Frankfurt the Ford Motor Company subsidiary Jaguar Cars will announce that it is entering the Formula 1 World Championship with the renamed Stewart Grand Prix team next year.

WHO GOES TO ARROWS?

TOM WALKINSHAW was planning to make an announcement about the future of Arrows on Sunday at Monza but the press briefing was called off at the last minute with the suggestion being that a bigger announcement will now be made at the European Grand Prix meeting at the Nurburgring in two weeks.

6 SEPTEMBER 1999

COSMETIC SURGERY FOR CHINA

CHINA was not included on the provisional Formula 1 calendar for the 2000 season and in an effort to win a date in 2001 the Zhuhai International Circuit is about to undergo extensive modifications, including significant work on the pit buildings.

IRVINE FASTEST AT MONZA TEST

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP challenger Eddie Irvine ended last week's Monza test with the fastest lap of the three days in his Ferrari F399.

IT'S OFFICIAL - IT'S BARRICHELLO

FERRARI has confirmed that Brazilian Rubens Barrichello has signed a two-year contract with the team and will replace EddieÊIrvine at Maranello next year.

IT'S OFFICIAL - IT'S JAGUAR

THE Formula 1 Commission met in London last week and agreed that Stewart Grand Prix can change its name to JaguarÊRacing next year.

NOW IT'S MERCEDES AND PEUGEOT...

THERE is considerable speculation in the automotive world that DaimlerChrysler - the parent company of Mercedes-Benz - may be on the verge of a bid for the French car maker PSA Peugeot Citroen after stories that Peugeot will produce a new Smart car for Mercedes.

SCHUMACHER ABSENT AT MONZA... AND MORE?

AS we suggested last week, it has emerged that Michael Schumacher is not fit enough to race at the Italian Grand Prix and he may also miss the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring on September 26.

THE TWELFTH TEAM

THE Formula 1 Commission considered several applications for the vacant 12th team slot, which has been left open by Honda's decision to ally itself with British American Racing rather than push ahead with its own team.