BMW Specials were a regular part of the World Championship in 1952 and 1953 but the arrival of the new 2.5-liter regulations in 1954 rendered them obsolete as the old pre-war BMW 328 engine was unable to compete with more modern engines. This did not stop Hans Klenk from building one at his base in Stuttgart. The car was raced in the German Grand Prix by Theo Helfrich. He qualified one and a half minutes slower than the fastest Ferrari and lasted eight laps before retiring with an engine failure. The Klenk reappeared later in the year at AVUS in the hands of another local driver.