CONSTRUCTORS: GILBY ENGINEERING
Name: Gilby Engineering
One-armed team owner Sid Greene ran a garage in Ongar, Essex and in the early 1950s entered Maserati sportscars for a variety of drivers, notably a young Roy Salvadori. In 1954 he bought a Maserati 250F and began to enter it in Formula 1 events for Salvadori. The Anglo-Italian driver finished second on his debut in the Lavant Cup at Goodwood and six weeks later gave the team its first victory in the Curtis Trophy F1 race at Snetterton. In July Greene took the team to Reims for the French GP. Salvadori qualified 10th but retired with mechanical failure. The team went on to Rouen where Salvadori placed third and at the British GP he qualified fifth but then retired. At the Oulton Park Gold Cup in August Salvadori suffered a sticking throttle and crashed into a tree, but he was unhurt and the car was repaired and was racing again by the autumn.
For the 1955 season Salvadori started the year with a win in the Glover Trophy at Goodwood in April and then finished second to Peter Collins in the International Trophy. He won the Curtis Trophy for a second time and raced with much success in the British GP but the team did not win again until September when Salvadori took the Daily Telegraph Trophy at Aintree. At the end of the season the team traveled to Pescara and witnessed Tony Brooks's famous win for Connaught but Salvadori retired with mechanical trouble.
The combination remained unchanged in 1956 but the year began badly with Salvadori crashing in spectacular fashion in the International Trophy but once again emerged with only cuts and bruises. When the team reappeared at Aintree in June it ran a Connaught which had been loaned to the team by Tommy Atkins. The Maserati was back in action at the British GP and Salvadori ran second before retiring. He then won the Vanwall Trophy at Snetterton and traveled to the Nurburgring for the German GP but retired after two laps and the season ended with a race at Caen in France and at the Italian GP. At the end of the year Salvadori moved on to join BRM and Gilby hired Jim Russell and then Ivor Bueb to drive the car at selected events. That same year Greene hired a Cooper on one occasion for his son Keith in a Formula 2 race at Snetterton.
The old Maserati was now outdated and Greene ran his son in a Lotus in F2 races but without much success. For 1959 he bought a Cooper and Keith began to show better form, finishing second in the BARC 200 at Aintree and at Whitchurch, near Bristol.
In 1960 Greene graduated to Formula 1 with a Cooper-Maserati but did mainly British races and that year they commissioned Len Terry to design a Formula 1 car for 1960 - he had already built a Gilby sportscar. The car was fitted with a Coventry Climax engine and made its debut in the hands of Greene at Goodwood. The car was not very competitive but the team soldiered on, even taking it to Posillipo for the Naples GP that Spring where Greene crashed heavily. The car was repaired and later that summer Greene took it to sixth place at the Danske Grand Prix at Roskilde. At the end of the year Greene finished fourth in the Lewis-Evans Trophy at Brands Hatch.
Greene continued to race the car at the start of 1962 and finished fourth in the Brussels GP, the Lombank Trophy at Snetterton and the Lavant Cup at Goodwood. At the end of the year the car was sold to Ian Raby and he used it to finish third at Vallelunga and in the Kanonloppet at Karlskoga. At the end of the year Raby bought a Brabham-BRM for 1964 and the Gilby was not seen again.