APRIL 29, 2016
New chassis may not solve problems says Nasr
Felipe Nasr is not completely sure a new chassis will fix the handling problems he has been suffering throughout 2016 so far.
The Brazilian confirmed in Russia that, after struggling with braking instability at the opening four rounds, he will get a new monocoque to drive at Sochi this weekend.
"It is a measure we take to try to solve the problems I have faced with chassis number 2," Nasr told Brazil's Globo. "But I'm not saying it will solve the problem."
That is because, amid Sauber's obvious financial problems at present, the Swiss team has a shortage of spare parts.
"Parts that I have used before will pass onto the new monocoque," Nasr confirmed.
"To try to solve this problem you would have to check and replace each mechanical, electronic, hydraulic, aerodynamic part, but it is necessary to have resources (for that) and we do not," he said.
Nasr's problems come at an awkward time for the 23-year-old, as his and sponsor Banco do Brasil's contracts with Sauber are coming to an end.
Not only that, the chassis rules are changing significantly for 2017, just when Sauber is struggling so much from a financial point of view.
"This lack of results does not interfere with my future," Nasr said when asked about his and Sauber's problems.
As for the looming 2017 rule changes, he admitted: "The difference between the big teams and the small ones will grow even more. There is no way a team like ours can focus on two projects.
"My manager (Steve Robertson) is seeing the options we have, here and elsewhere," said Nasr.