APRIL 5, 2019
Alonso not thinking about 2020 until July
Fernando Alonso says he will not think about his plans for 2020 until July.
Having quit F1, the two-time champion is currently preparing for the Indy 500 and Le Mans.
But he tested for McLaren in Bahrain last week and is not ruling out a 2020 return to F1 if he has a title-winning car.
"At the moment I am focusing on Spa, Indianapolis and Le Mans and until July I will not consider anything about the future," Alonso told Spanish media.
But he hinted that no matter what he decides for 2020, it will not be as mixed a bag of different cars and series as at present.
"The idea is not to change around so many times, because you lose the perfection you need to succeed in a great specialty," said Alonso.
But he says he does not regret quitting McLaren at the end of last year, even though the 2019 car is better.
"It's better to be in Q3 and to score points, but I do not feel like racing in F1 this year," said Alonso.
"Well, if Carlos (Sainz) wins two or three races before Abu Dhabi, maybe yes," he smiled.