Formula One News — January 2020

JANUARY 20, 2020

Wurz designs Saudi Arabia's new F1 track

<p>Former F1 driver Alex Wurz has penned a circuit intended to be the host of a Saudi Arabia GP in 2023.</p>

Hamilton to stay at Mercedes in 2021, 2022 says report

<p>Lewis Hamilton looks set to re-commit to Mercedes, according to the authoritative Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport.</p>

Bratches' F1 exit to be announced this week

<p>F1's commercial director Sean Bratches is set to leave the sport.</p>

Giovinazzi expects 'very close' 2020 midfield

<p>Alfa Romeo's 2020 car has passed the FIA crash tests on the second attempt.</p>

Van der Garde warns Red Bull over reliance on Newey

<p>Red Bull must be cautious not to become over-reliant on technical boss Adrian Newey, according to former F1 driver Giedo van der Garde.</p>

Bottas not surprised top teams signing drivers for 2021

<p>Valtteri Bottas says he is not surprised that top teams Ferrari and Red Bull are leading the way with the 2021 driver 'silly season'.</p>

Stroll, Wolff, eye Mercedes team takeover says report

<p>Lawrence Stroll and Toto Wolff could be planning to take over the Mercedes works team from 2021, according to veteran German correspondent Ralf Bach.</p>

JANUARY 17, 2020

Domenicali doubts Hamilton heading to Ferrari

<p>Former Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali does not think Lewis Hamilton will be heading to Maranello any time soon.</p>

F1 viewership collapsed in France says Prost

<p>Television viewership has collapsed in France, according to F1 legend Alain Prost.</p>

Formula 1 loses $26m sponsor

<p>Formula 1 has lost a major sponsor.</p>

Zandvoort holding back F1 team simulation data

<p>Zandvoort will be a Formula 1 circuit "for the brave", according to track designer Jarno Zaffelli.</p>

F1 uses women drivers to 'attract attention' says Florsch

<p>German racer Sophia Florsch thinks Formula 1 too often uses female drivers purely to "attract attention".</p>

Red Bull-Honda eyes 'more than five' wins in 2020

<p>Dr Helmut Marko says he has set a target of "more than five" wins for Red Bull-Honda in 2020.</p>

Nissany part of Israel GP push for 2021 - report

There is more than meets the eye to Williams' new test driver signing.

JANUARY 16, 2020

Brundle thinks Claire Williams should step aside

<p>Former F1 driver and respected pundit Martin Brundle thinks it is time for Claire Williams to step down at the struggling British team.</p>

Florsch criticises Ferrari for seeking female driver

<p>Sophia Florsch, who made global headlines by surviving a horror Formula 3 crash at Macau in 2018, has dismissed Ferrari's push to sign a female driver.</p>

Hamilton lifestyle impossible in 'normal' car - Alonso

<p>Lewis Hamilton would not be able to indulge his extravagant character and lifestyle if he raced a "normal car" in Formula 1.</p>

Leclerc admits 'still learning' from Vettel

<p>Charles Leclerc has admitted to "tensions" with Sebastian Vettel last year, but he is hoping the Ferrari teammates can work well together in 2020.</p>

Gasly deserves 'some blame' for Red Bull demotion

<p>Pierre Gasly deserves "some of the blame" for the failure of his time at Red Bull's top F1 team last year, according to Dr Helmut Marko.</p>

JANUARY 15, 2020

Insider senses trouble with Ferrari's 2020 car

<p>A Ferrari insider has revealed that all may not be well with the Maranello team's preparations for 2020.</p>

Vettel can beat Leclerc in 2020 - Berger

<p>Gerhard Berger does not think Sebastian Vettel's F1 career is in crisis.</p>

Haas 'on schedule' as 2020 car passes crash tests

<p>Romain Grosjean says he is keen to have a much better season at Haas this year.</p>

Alonso plays down chances of 2021 Ferrari return

<p>Fernando Alonso does not think there is room at Ferrari for his potential return to Formula 1 in 2021.</p>

JANUARY 14, 2020

Leclerc 'more political' than Verstappen - Berger

<p>F1 legend Gerhard Berger says Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc are yet to overtake Lewis Hamilton as the best driver on the grid today.</p>