Formula One News — May 2014
MAY 7, 2014
Azerbaijan could replace Russia on 2014 calendar
Azerbaijan could be set to make its debut on the F1 calendar much earlier than first expected.
MAY 6, 2014
Ferrari insider says Brawn spotted at Maranello
Specialist Ferrari journalist and author Leo Turrini on Tuesday reports that Ross Brawn has this week been at Maranello and Fiorano.
McLaren passing Mercedes information to Honda?
Toto Wolff suspects McLaren will pass on knowledge about Mercedes' turbo V6 to its 2015 engine supplier Honda.
Rosberg tips rivals to be closer in Spain
Nico Rosberg has tipped Mercedes' rivals to have closed the gap during the three-week break since last month's Chinese grand prix.
McLaren could try Lotus-style double nose in Spain
McLaren could fit a Lotus-style 'double pronged' nose solution to its 2014 car at this weekend's Spanish grand prix.
No regrets for Maldonado
Pastor Maldonado insists he has no regrets about moving from Williams to Lotus for 2014.
Haug predicts close duel for Mercedes duo
Former Mercedes chief Norbert Haug is predicting a "close duel" between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in 2014.
MAY 5, 2014
Rosberg claims he is better than Hamilton in the dry
Nico Rosberg is sounding far from defeated ahead of the Spanish grand prix.
Mercedes not happy with megaphone noise fix says Wolff
One proposed solution to the sound problem in formula one this year is a "megaphone"-style exhaust.
Insiders tip Ecclestone to survive corruption scandal
Three F1 insiders have tipped Bernie Ecclestone to drive out of the corruption scandal not only with his freedom, but also the keys to the sport.
Vettel renews attack on new F1
Sebastian Vettel his renewed his attack on F1's 'new' face, after he was rebuked by the FIA for earlier calling the mild sound of the V6 engines "sh*t".
F1 could axe Friday morning practice to cut costs
F1 could axe Friday morning practice sessions next year, as teams consider how to cut costs in the absence of a mandatory budget cap.
Ricciardo wants fair fight with Vettel
Daniel Ricciardo says he accepts the "responsibility" of sometimes having to "move over" for his Red Bull teammate.
Sauber turned down GP2 champion's $14m?
Even with $14 million in his hand, reigning GP2 champion Fabio Leimer could not buy his way into formula one.
Russian GP unrealistic amid Crimean crisis
An unofficial asterisk is still hovering above this year's inaugural running of the Russian grand prix.
MAY 3, 2014
Witness doubts Ecclestone's blackmail defence
Bernie Ecclestone's blackmail defence came under attack on Friday, as the F1 chief executive returned to court in Munich.
Maldonado paid $25m to leave Williams
A $25 million termination payment from Pastor Maldonado's sponsor helped Williams to drive back into profit.
MAY 2, 2014
Former Ferrari man Nigel Stepney killed in road accident
Nigel Stepney, the former Ferrari chief mechanic who was fired in 2007 after being accused of sabotage and leaking data to McLaren, has been killed in a traffic accident in England.
F1 team split eases after London meeting
A meeting in London on Thursday eased the threat of a head-on collision between F1's big and small teams, according to reports.
Mallya adds 'Smirnoff' to Force India livery
Force India has added a major new sponsor to the sidepods of its 2014 car.
MAY 1, 2014
Senna wanted to break Williams contract says Montezemolo
Ayrton Senna wanted to break his Williams contract, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has claimed.
Ecclestone returns to Munich for continued trial
Bernie Ecclestone is set to return to Munich as his bribery trial resumes.
Teams head to Biggin Hill amid discrimination claims
In the three-week gap between grands prix, F1 chiefs on Thursday are headed to Biggin Hill, Bernie Ecclestone's airport in London.
Canada GP chief happy with new F1 sound
Canadian grand prix promoter Francois Dumontier doesn't mind the new and milder sound of formula one.