Formula One News — April 2003
APRIL 4, 2003
Some wild rumors
There is still no deal for 2005 and beyond between Williams and BMW and according to our sources there was another meeting last week in Germany without the deal being inked.
The GPWC and the FIA
There are whispers in Formula 1 circles that the GPWC organization, which is planning to start its own World Championship in 2008, has gone to the FIA and asked that the federation act as the legislator in the new series.
Allcock to Toyota?
Ousted Williams aerodynamicist Nick Allcock is rumored to be on his way to a new job at Toyota Motorsport in Cologne.
Honda to have a new spec engine in Imola
Honda is to bring a new specification engine for British American Racing at the forthcoming San Marino Grand Prix.
APRIL 3, 2003
Bridgestone tires delayed
There were worried faces in the Bridgestone camp on Thursday afternoon in Brazil when it became clear that the Japanese firm did not have enough tires to supply everything that was needed for the race.
Brazilian GP Preview
Brazilian Grand Prix - Preview
Princess Royal backs Silverstone plans
The Princess Royal visited Silverstone this week to help the circuit highlight its role in the British motorsport industry.
Giorgio Pantano joins Durango
Giorgio Pantano will drive for the ambitious Durango operation, which won races last year with Rodrigo Sperafico.
The World Championship at 700
The Brazilian Grand Prix will be the 700th FIA Formula 1 World Championship event.
De la Rosa signs for McLaren
Pedro de la Rosa has joined the Team McLaren Mercedes team as a test driver to assist David Coulthard, Kimi Raikkonen and Alexander Wurz with the development of the MP4/17D and the new MP4/18.
APRIL 2, 2003
Formula 1 fears SARS outbreak
The news that Sao Paulo health authorities have found the first suspected case of the deadly SARS virus has sent panic through the Formula 1 world. The person in hospital in Sao Paulo is reported to be a 42-year female British Formula 1 journalist who arrived in Brazil on Monday.
Legal games
The FIA says that it is going to take action against the European Union over the change of date for the European tobacco sponsorship ban.
Oh, those April Fools
The mayor of Zurich yesterday said that on a local radio station that he is bidding for a Grand Prix.
FIA intends to take legal action on EU
The FIA announced today that they are planning to take the European Commission to the European Court of Justice in a bid to prevent them bringing forward the plans to outlaw tobacco advertising, which is presently due to come into effect July 31, 2005, and restore the original date of October 1, 2006.
Jordan to celebrate 200th GP
The Jordan team will celebrate its 200th race this weekend in Brazil.
APRIL 1, 2003
The World Council meets tomorrow
The FIA World Motor Sport Council meets in Paris tomorrow and although there are no major items which are on the agenda, it is thought quite likely that the council, which has not met since December, will return to the thorny issue of the European Union's attitude towards tobacco sponsorship.
A Grand Prix for Liechtenstein?
The Principality of Liechtenstein is not on the major tourist routes of Europe. The tiny sovereign state that has existed since 1806, is located between Austria and Switzerland and is mainly mountainous.
Irvine makes some more money
Eddie Irvine has successfully appealed the decision of a High Court judge to award him just $3000 damages in a case which he won but which left him with a legal bill of an estimated $435,000.
Ralf wants to stay at Williams
According to Willi Weber, Ralf Schumacher's manager, his young charge wants to stay at Williams and is not talking to Toyota.
Ambiguity
The FIA's recent announcement about driver aids was a masterpiece of ambiguity. It implied that launch control, traction control and fully-automatic gearboxes will not be banned until the start of 2004. This is how it was reported by most media organizations. But the announcement did not actually say that.