JAPANESE GP - SUNDAY - RACE INCIDENTS
* Lap 1: At the start Felipe Massa takes the lead from Michael Schumacher and Ralf Schumacher but behind him Fernando Alonso passes Jarno Trulli for fourth. Jenson Button is sixth, having made a better start than Giancarlo Fisichella. Nick Heidfeld is next for BMW Sauber with Kimi Raikkonen ninth and there is then a big gap back to Rubens Barrichello who has damaged his front wing and is holding up a pack of cars.
* Lap 2: The order is the same but Barrichello goes into the pitlane and releases the chasers, who are led by Robert Kubica and the two Williams-Cosworths.
* Lap 3: As the two Ferraris go down to the first corner Schumacher takes the lead. Further back Alonso moves up on Ralf Schumacher. In the midfield Tonio Liuzzi spins his Toro Rosso and drops from 14th to 17th.
* Lap 4: As Michael Schumacher tries to pull away Alonso increases the pressure on Ralf. Further back Scott Speed passes David Coulthard for 14th.
* Lap 5: Fisichella passes Button for sixth place.
* Lap 9: Alonso goes wide at Degner Curve and drops back from Ralf Schumacher. Further back the recovering Barrichello passes Sakon Yamamoto for 21st position.
* Lap 10: The two Ferraris are only four seconds ahead of the Ralf-Alonso battle for third place, a surprise given the pace of the Ferraris in qualifying. Further back Robert Doornbos passes Christijan Albers for 16th. At the back Barrichello passes Takuma Sato.
* Lap 12: Trulli pits, confirming that Toyota's qualifying pace was based on a low fuel load. He drops from fifth to eighth.
* Lap 13: At Turn 1 Alonso passes Ralf Schumacher. Massa heads for the pits, a big surprise. This is because of a puncture. He drops from second to sixth and is stuck behind Nick Heidfeld. Ralf Schumacher pits and drops from fifth to ninth.
* Lap 14: Fisichella pits and drops from third place to ninth. Christijan Albers has an off in Turn 13.
* Lap 15: Alonso heads for the pits. He refuels and comes out just ahead of Massa. In the midfield eleventh-plced Webber pits and rejoins in 13th.
* Lap 16: Michael Schumacher continues in the lead. Button is second but pits and falls back to 10th. Down at the back Barrichello passes Tiago Monteiro for 19th.
* Lap 18: Schumacher pits and is followed into pitlane by third-placed Heidfeld. Michael rejoins in the lead, five seconds ahead of Alonso. Massa is three seconds behind. Heidfeld drops to 11th place. Also stopping is David Coulthard who falls from 15th to 20th.
* Lap 20: The situation at the front is unchanged but the pit stops continue with eighth-placed Kubica stopping and rejoining in 10th place. Tenth-placed Webber also stops and rejoins 12th. Pedro de la Rosa and Liuzzi also stop. Up at the chicane Albers suffers a driveshaft failure which tears the rear end off the Spyker, leaving debris all over the track. The Safety Car is not deployed.
* Lap 21: Robert Doornbos is 15th when he pits. He rejoins 19th.
* Lap 22: Raikkonen finally pits and falls back from fourth to eighth. Further back Barrichello also stops and loses some of the ground he has made up.
* Lap 24: Massa has a small off at the chicane and loses 1.5secs to Alonso.
* Lap 29: The situation is much the same with Michael Schumacher five seconds ahead of Alonso and Massa five seconds behind him. Trulli comes into the pits for his second stop. He drops from fourth place to eighth. At the back Speed has a spin and falls behind Barrichello and Liuzzi.
* Lap 30: Ralf Schumacher had his second stop and he falls from fourth back to eighth. The Toyota strategy is clearly not going to work.
* Lap 32: Kubica has an off and loses 10secs on Heidfeld.
* Lap 33: Fourth-placed Fisichella has his second stop but comes out of the pits ahead of the two Toyotas.
* Lap 34: Rosberg is the next to pit and falls from 11th place to 13th. Coulthard and Liuzzi both have their second stops. Sato passes Speed for 18th.
* Lap 35: Alonso and Massa both pit. Fernando stays second but Massa drops back to fourth, although Jenson Button still has to pit again. Further back Doornbos and Speed both pit and Coulthard returns to the pits to retire.
* Lap 36: Schumacher stops and rejoins in the lead. Ninth-placed Heidfeld also stops but he too stays in the same position.
* Lap 37: Schumacher suffers an engine failure and pulls off to retire. Alonso goes into the lead, his World Championship hopes suddenly revived. Button has his second stop and falls from second to fifth although Raikkonen is still to stop again. Kubica also stops but he rejoins on Heidfeld's tail after making up the ground lost with his off on lap 32.
* Lap 38: Webber has his second stop and he falls from 10th to 12th.
* Lap 40: The order at the front is now settled but Raikkonen, in third, still has to pit. Further back de la Rosa has his second stop and loses 10th place to Rosberg. Webber goes wide in the fast right-hander before the pits and loses control of his Williams and crashes.
* Lap 41: Raikkonen stops. He drops behind Fisichella and Button. In the midfield Barrichello has his second stop but remains in 12th place.
* Lap 48: Nothing has changed but at the back Speed pits to retire with mechanical trouble. Yamamoto has a spin but rejoins.
* Lap 53: Alonso wins and take 10 points. This means that Michael Schumacher has to win in Brazil without Alonso scoring if he wants to win the World Championship. Renault is now nine points ahead in the Constructors' title.