CANADIAN GP - SUNDAY - RACE INCIDENTS
As the grid lines up David Coulthard is at the back after a late engine change for Red Bull Racing.
* Lap 1: At the start Giancarlo Fisichella moves too early and then backs off which means that as the lights go out, he is overtaken by Kimi Raikkonen. Jarno Trulli was fourth ahead of Nico Rosberg, Juan Pablo Montoya and Michael Schumacher. Behind him is Jenson Button who has Jacques Villeneuve, Felipe Massa, Nick Heidfeld, a fast-starting Mark Webber and Tonio Liuzzi. Further back the two MF1s collide at the hairpin. Christijan Albers retires in the spot and Tiago Monteiro heads for the pits.
* Lap 2: Alonso and Raikkonen are battling at the front when Montoya tries to pass Rosberg at the chicane at the back of the circuit. The two cars collide and Rosberg is spun across the track and into the wall. Montoya keeps going but drops back and heads for the pits at the end of the lap. The Safety Car is deployed with the order being Alonso, Raikkonen, Fisichella, Trulli, Michael Schumacher, Button and Villeneuve. Frank Montagny also retires with a mechanical problem.
* Lap 3: The Safety Car continues with Takuma Sato pitting.
* Lap 4: The race restarts and the Alonso-Raikkonen battle recommences. Further back Montoya passes Coulthard for 16th place but there are red flags in that section following Montagny's problem.
* Lap 7: At the front the two leaders have pulled a long way clear of Trulli and it is clear that Michael Schumacher is trapped behind the Toyota. Fisichella is called into the pits for a drive-through penalty because of his jumped start. He drops from third to fifth as a result.
* Lap 11: Kimi tries to take the lead on the straight but Alonso has the inside line and takes the corner. The gap behind them is up to 11secs.
* Lap 12: Rubens Barrichello pits from 12th place and retires with mechanical trouble. Further back Montoya overtakes Ralf Schumacher for 15th place.
* Lap 14: Eleventh-placed Tonio Liuzzi stops and drops back to 15th. At the same time Montoya retires after hitting the wall at the last corner.
* Lap 15: Tenth-placed Mark Webber heads for the pit lane and falls back to 14th.
* Lap 17: Alonso's gap over Raikkonen is up to one second for the first time. The gap between Kimi and Trulli is 14secs.
* Lap 18: Felipe Massa passes Villeneuve to take seventh place.
* Lap 23: Alonso is the first of the frontrunners to pit and so Raikkonen leads. The gap is such that Fernando rejoins in second.
* Lap 24: Schumacher finally passes Trulli as they go into the last corner. Further back Ralf Schumacher pits, but he is already out of the running. He is soon given a drive-through penalty for speeding in the pitlane and has to stop again on lap 26. He also has a spin.
* Lap 25: Raikkonen pits and Alonso takes the lead again, this time more than five seconds ahead because of problems for Raikkonen in the pit where his clutch causes problems. Also stopping are Trulli and Fisichella. The Italian gets ahead of the Toyota.
* Lap 26: Massa passes Button to take fourth place, although both men are yet to stop.
* Lap 27: Button pits and falls back from fifth to 10th.
* Lap 28: Eleventh-placed Scott Speed has his first pit stop and drops behind David Coulthard.
* Lap 29: Michael Schumacher grazes the wall at the final corner as he tries to close the gap on Raikkonen but gets away with it. Klien has his first stop and drops from ninth to 11th
* Lap 30: Fisichella passes Heidfeld for sixth.
* Lap 32: Alonso's lead is up to 6.6secs. Raikkonen is second but Schumacher goes into the pits. he has done enough to come out still in third ahead of Massa, Villeneuve, Fisichella and Heidfeld. Trulli is eighth.
* Lap 33: Villeneuve pits and drops from fifth to eighth
* Lap 34: Heidfeld stops and he falls from sixth to eighth. Further back Coulthard has his first stop.
* Lap 36: It is clear that Massa is stopping only once. He is up to fourth when he pits and drops back to sixth.
* Lap 37: The order settles down with Alonso around eight seconds ahead of Raikkonen and then a 20secs gap back to Schumacher. He is making no real progress. Fisichella is fourth ahead of Trulli, Massa, Villeneuve and Heidfeld. Everyone else is lapped. Button is ninth ahead of Klien, Coulthard, Speed and Webber. Liuzzi is in trouble and is two laps down with Ralf Schumacher behind him and Sato and Monteiro bring up the rear.
* Lap 44: Webber begins the second round of stops but remains 13th.
* Lap 46: Raikkonen has on off and drops three seconds in one lap, leaving Alonso 12secs ahead.
* Lap 48: Trulli stops and drops from fifth to eighth.
* Lap 50: Alonso stops again. Raikkonen takes the lead by Alonso is right behind him. Further back Speed has his second stop .
* Lap 52: Fisichella stops again but holds on to fourth place. Also pitting is Button who drops from ninth to 11th.
* Lap 53: Raikkonen stops again and Alonso takes the lead again. Kimi gets out ahead of Michael. Also stopping is Klien who falls from ninth to 11th.
* Lap 54: Heidfeld who drops from seventh to eighth.
* Lap 55: Villeneuve stops and falls from sixth to eighth.
* Lap 56: Coulthard has his second stop and drops from ninth to 10th.
* Lap 57: Schumacher comes in but maintains his third place but is 23secs behind Raikkonen.
* Lap 59: Villeneuve goes wide trying to pass Ralf Schumacher and crashes into the wall at high speed. the Safety Car is deployed. Ralf Schumacher has another spin further round the lap. The caution period means that the gaps are closed up.
* Lap 64: The race restarts but the order is unchanged as the leaders get through the backmarkers in the line.
* Lap 67: Button makes a mistake and is passed by Coulthard for eighth place.
* Lap 69: Sato crashes (he is on his 65th lap). Raikkonen goes very wide at the hairpin and Schumacher gets ahead of him. to grab second.
* Lap 70: Alonso wins his third consecutive victory. Schumacher is second, Raikkonen third and Fisichella fourth. Massa is fifth and the only other man who is unlapped. The remaining points go to Trulli, Heidfeld and Coulthard. Button is ninth ahead of Speed, Klien and Webber. Liuzzi is two laps down with the last runner being Monteiro.