MARCH 1, 2017
McLaren sticking with plan says Vandoorne
Stoffel Vandoorne says he has not been told if McLaren will modify its test programme in light of the problems struck so far.
As the Barcelona test began and Fernando Alonso struck technical trouble with Honda's new engine, team boss Eric Boullier admitted the later schedule could be tweaked so the Spaniard could catch up with mileage.
But then Belgian Vandoorne struck similar trouble with Honda's redesigned power unit on Tuesday, with McLaren's situation being called a "nightmare" by sections of the Spanish media.
It is believed Honda only brought three engines to Barcelona, so it is now rushing to fly in another unit from Japan.
Asked if the test programme will have to be modified, Vandoorne said in Barcelona: "We have not discussed this, so I assume we will stick to the original plan.
"Everyone is working their hardest," he insisted. "We are professionals and know how to make the most of the time that we have to prepare.
"This is only the second test day as well, so there is no reason to give up hope."
As for his relationship with Alonso, whose patience with the McLaren-Honda situation is always being questioned by the media, Vandoorne answered: "So far we are getting along very well.
"We are both working together to put the team back on the road to success."
|Print News Story|
ROSBERG TO ATTEND BARCELONA TEST
WOLFF, HORNER SAY MELBOURNE PROTEST POSSIBLE
FERRARI CLOSE TO MERCEDES SAYS STEINER
DRIVERS LESS IMPORTANT IN 2017 SAYS ALONSO
CANADA GP SECURE THROUGH 2029
FERRARI'S 2017 APPROACH RISKY SAYS MONTEZEMOLO
FERRARI MEDIA BLACKOUT SET TO END
WEHRLEIN NOT DWELLING ON MISSED MERC SEAT
NEW FERRARI HUGE STEP FORWARD SAYS MARCHIONNE
PIRELLI HAPPY TO DELIVER ON 2017 PROMISES
MERCEDES DENIES MIXING OIL WITH FUEL FOR F1 BOOST