FEBRUARY 26, 2016
Boss Key denies Toro Rosso testing 2015 car
James Key on Thursday clarified reports that Toro Rosso did not take its 2016 car to the first Barcelona test.
Carlos Sainz had been quoted as saying that, amid the Faenza team's rush to fit its new Ferrari engines for 2016, Toro Rosso had prepared an interim car built around the 2015 car.
The Spaniard suggested the "full" STR11 will then make its debut next week in race livery.
Technical boss Key, however, is quoted by the Spanish sports daily Marca as saying the all-blue single seater collecting laps this week "is definitely this year's car".
"There are two parts that are temporary, because the new ones will come for the next test," he added. "But they are the only two pieces from 2015 that are in this car."
Key admitted that the 2016 machine is very much based on last year's model.
"We were very happy with the chassis last year -- it was a big step for us. So we wanted to keep everything that worked," he added.
But it seems that the 2016 Toro Rosso may actually be heavier, as compromises were made to accommodate the last-minute switch from Renault power.
It means Sainz, who spent some of the winter training with top triathlete Mario Mola, was asked to lose weight.
|Print News Story|
PECKING ORDER SIMILAR TO 2015 SAYS KVYAT
ARAI EXIT WAS LONG-TERM PLAN SAYS BOULLIER
BOSS KEY DENIES TORO ROSSO TESTING 2015 CAR
RENAULT NOT RULING OUT B CAR IN 2016
DRIVER OF THE DAY INITIATIVE POINTLESS SAYS HAMILTON
MALLYA GETS $75M, F1 SPONSOR DEAL, IN COMPANY SPLIT