AUGUST 14, 2013
Claims Raikkonen will opt for Ferrari return in 2014
2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen has decided to return to Ferrari next year, the major Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat has reported this week.
The Finn, whose two-year rallying sabbatical began after Ferrari ended his contract and signed Fernando Alonso for 2010, had been more strongly linked with a move from Lotus to Red Bull.
Ilta-Sanomat said its report was based on the information of its "sources".
The newspaper added that Red Bull team owner Dietrich Mateschitz is keen to sign Ferrari's current number 1 Fernando Alonso for 2014, despite the Spaniard's long contract.
Many in the paddock, however, see the prospect of Alonso's pairing with reigning multiple world champion Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull as highly unlikely.
"I was surprised by these (media) reports," admitted Daniel Juncadella, a young Spanish driver who is being linked with a future at the Williams team.
"It's quite hard to believe," he told Russia's Championat. "Of course he would have a very good chance to become world champion again if he was at Red Bull -- but we'll see."
|Print News Story|