JUNE 29, 2000
Jordan announce Honda engine deal
JORDAN will use works Honda engines in Formula One next season, the Silverstone-based team announced on Thursday.
The new long-term deal will see Honda supply equal specification engines to both Jordan and British American Racing in 2001.
The new partnership signals the end of Jordan's association with current engine suppliers Mugen after team boss Eddie Jordan insisted that his team need a better power unit to compete at the top.
"This is a massive breakthrough for the team and gives renewed credibility to our ambitions to win the world championship," Jordan said.
"I believe that Jordan-Honda now represents the most exciting technical package for the years ahead."
Jordan finished third in the constructors' championship last year but have struggled to maintain that form this season, scoring just 10 points in eight races.
Jordan added: "It is pretty clear from this season's results that you need a top-level engine to compete at the very top of Formula One.
"We've had a lot of success with Mugen and they've got us to where we are but the indications are that the way forward is with a major manufacturer."
Honda also confirmed that they would continue their efforts to jointly develop chassis technology with BAR, despite their involvement with Jordan.
Takeo Fukui, in charge of Honda's motorsport activities, said: "Along with our joint development of chassis technology with BAR supplying works engines to Jordan represents a new challenge in Honda's third period of participation in Formula One."
|Print News Story|